BBGG

How I shipped my personal belongings from UK to US

60 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bug&Bug said:

This is amazingly useful and i wish it was pinned.

Ive been asking around and send my bag confirmed they can send the stuff ahead of me, so it might depend on the company and the paperwork they can process.

I ended up going with myluggage in the end. It seems both sendmybag and myluggage use the same carrier (DHL) but myluggage ended up being a hair cheaper (one of my slightly larger 15kg boxes ended up being 88 with ML but 105 with SMB - 105 for 15kg seemed quite outrageous!). Furthermore, the myluggage customer service was super responsive and endlessly patient with my many queries. My stuff was collected on Friday afternoon and will be delivered to NYC on Tuesday (one day ahead of me). Also, you can track it every step of the way which is nice. Fingers crossed it will all be delivered tomorrow with no problems!

On 11/23/2020 at 12:54 PM, RadChan said:

I ended up going with myluggage in the end. It seems both sendmybag and myluggage use the same carrier (DHL) but myluggage ended up being a hair cheaper (one of my slightly larger 15kg boxes ended up being 88 with ML but 105 with SMB - 105 for 15kg seemed quite outrageous!). Furthermore, the myluggage customer service was super responsive and endlessly patient with my many queries. My stuff was collected on Friday afternoon and will be delivered to NYC on Tuesday (one day ahead of me). Also, you can track it every step of the way which is nice. Fingers crossed it will all be delivered tomorrow with no problems!

Thanks ill check with them also once i have a feel for how many boxes i need ( im dreading the thought!!!)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2020 at 9:11 AM, Bug&Bug said:

Thanks ill check with them also once i have a feel for how many boxes i need ( im dreading the thought!!!)

Sorry - it was mybaggage and not myluggage. Well, my suitcase arrived 5 days after I shipped it, and the rest of my boxes yesterday, around a week late, but that was because they got stuck in customs, no idea why (I was tracking them via the shipper's website!). But everything survived the journey and my boxes were also unopened. I ended up paying 561 pounds for 1 big suitcase (26kg) and 6 big boxes (15kg each) with the maximum insurance level. Cheaper than Sendmybag.com were offering, and I think a touch more expensive than Trans Global Express (that OP used) but I compared Trustpilot scores and went with mybaggage as it was slightly higher (4.7 average) than TGE (4.3 average) as I tend to have bad sending luck in general. 

Grateful for the incredibly detailed information here.

Struggling to get my head around the next step with regards to shipping.

Still debating shipping bedroom furniture (double divan bed, headboard, wingback chair, chest of drawers and bedside table) or just leaving it all and only taking clothes, shoes, photographs and maybe a few small kitchen items (non-electrical of course).

Am really struggling though! Of course my husband is saying don't bother because we can replace things, I'm not sentimental, I'm just thinking why bother with buying what I already have?! That makes sense, surely. Shipping estimates from a couple of places, Sevenseas Worldwide for furniture  and one other whose name I've already forgotten have been extortionate - can't bear the thought of spending over £1000. 

Is the general consensus that it's really better to just stick with shipping suitcases of clothes/shoes, etc and a few boxes, maybe 8?

Maybe I just need some concise, decisive advice from others who have been through it, if anyone can bear it. Will be beyond helpful and much appreciated. Thank you in advance! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
On 12/4/2020 at 9:54 AM, PBabz said:

Is the general consensus that it's really better to just stick with shipping suitcases of clothes/shoes, etc and a few boxes, maybe 8?

Maybe I just need some concise, decisive advice from others who have been through it, if anyone can bear it. Will be beyond helpful and much appreciated. Thank you in advance

I shipped 23 boxes of stuff (clothing, tools, books that meant something to me, cds/vinyl collection, some keepsake coins, some old schoolwork, small computer bits and gauges because I’m in IT, and probably more) and a crated antique wall clock passed down many generations to me. I had no furniture because I was renting a small bungalow (second home) of my mum. I left her household electric Items I had bought. I gave away TV, fancy coffee/cappuccino machine because she passed on them. 

I am sentimental and don’t regret shipping so much. I think the transition was painless because I didn’t give away my entire life to save a few quid. I was never homesick for even a day because I had familiar things around me. I had no option to leave things with UK family like many do. Opinion:If you absolutely love the chair and sit in it every day, then maybe a good thing to bring.  If it’s not particularly special to you, then buy a newer, prettier chair in the US.

Having been on VJ for almost 13 years, I have seen SO MANY of you who are “so in love” suffer from depression and homesickness, get divorces, struggle with the changes, or return “home”. Really, it happens a lot! So think about if you would be happy with only a suitcase representing your entire life when it all goes pear shaped. Sorry that may be too brutally honest for most of you. I do apologize. It depends on the individual and age, but you seriously are not going to know how your new life is going to play out emotionally until you actually move and live the new life. 

Look at 1st Move international  . I had excellent service with them. 

Look at how they pack your stuff 1-7 https://www.shipit.co.uk/safer-packing.htm

Edited by Wuozopo

On 12/5/2020 at 6:59 PM, Wuozopo said:

I shipped 23 boxes of stuff (clothing, tools, books that meant something to me, cds/vinyl collection, some keepsake coins, some old schoolwork, small computer bits and gauges because I’m in IT, and probably more) and a crated antique wall clock passed down many generations to me. I had no furniture because I was renting a small bungalow (second home) of my mum. I left her household electric Items I had bought. I gave away TV, fancy coffee/cappuccino machine because she passed on them. 

I am sentimental and don’t regret shipping so much. I think the transition was painless because I didn’t give away my entire life to save a few quid. I was never homesick for even a day because I had familiar things around me. I had no option to leave things with UK family like many do. Opinion:If you absolutely love the chair and sit in it every day, then maybe a good thing to bring.  If it’s not particularly special to you, then buy a newer, prettier chair in the US.

Having been on VJ for almost 13 years, I have seen SO MANY of you who are “so in love” suffer from depression and homesickness, get divorces, struggle with the changes, or return “home”. Really, it happens a lot! So think about if you would be happy with only a suitcase representing your entire life when it all goes pear shaped. Sorry that may be too brutally honest for most of you. I do apologize. It depends on the individual and age, but you seriously are not going to know how your new life is going to play out emotionally until you actually move and live the new life. 

Look at 1st Move international  . I had excellent service with them. 

Look at how they pack your stuff 1-7 https://www.shipit.co.uk/safer-packing.htm

My reason for wanting to ship furniture is much more pragmatic than sentimental, it's all bought and paid for, relatively new at that, each piece less than 3 years old, but as someone who has made three big moves across continents, I'm not particularly attached to anything.

Appreciative of that dose of reality from your observations though - have decided to buy a nice, new chair when I arrive. My husband actually agreed to get me a new chair of my choosing as part of Operation: make me feel at home :)

Will spend the next few months sorting through clothes, shoes and photographs that I'd like to take to settle me in then have my parents bring things when they visit or arrange for things to be shipped slowly. 
Military family and all, don't want to spend a bunch of time shipping things to one state and find out we're going to be spending the next three years on the other side of the world 🙄

Thanks! 

I thankfully dont own furniture and yet I've already filled up 4 boxes and I am still just halfway one room.

God this is stressful. 

The way I am trying to think about it is:

- Does it have sentimental value, real value and/or will be hard to replace? - suitcase/ carry on.

- Is it significantly cheaper and easier to just mail it ( and it is allowed)? - put in boxes.

- Can I replace it easy and Im not too bothered about losing it - get rid of.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Bug&Bug said:

My god why is this so expensive.

I cant find anything under £70 per 10kg box. Is not like I need anything to arrive in a week but I cant find options.

Oh well....

I too have given up..

I have officially moved to the 'i'll just pay for extra luggage on the plane' stream of thought.

When I do hopefully fly, it will likely be with British Airways. I will either use their premium economy cabin and get 2 pieces of checked luggage and pay for a third, or just pay for 2 extra pieces and take 3x23 kg bags with me. 

Should cost between £130 and £195 I think - that will have to do! 🤞 Everything else will have to stay or be brought over on parents' visits. 

On 12/24/2020 at 8:30 AM, PBabz said:

I too have given up..

I have officially moved to the 'i'll just pay for extra luggage on the plane' stream of thought.

When I do hopefully fly, it will likely be with British Airways. I will either use their premium economy cabin and get 2 pieces of checked luggage and pay for a third, or just pay for 2 extra pieces and take 3x23 kg bags with me. 

Should cost between £130 and £195 I think - that will have to do! 🤞 Everything else will have to stay or be brought over on parents' visits. 

Thats actually very good price!! Im going to look onto it.

So far transglobal express are by far the only reasonable quote Ive got (£170 for 6 10kg boxes). But im getting a lot of mixed messages from them about if I can or cannot send the parcels in advance of myself. 

Edited by Bug&Bug

On 12/26/2020 at 2:38 PM, Bug&Bug said:

Thats actually very good price!! Im going to look onto it.

So far transglobal express are by far the only reasonable quote Ive got (£170 for 6 10kg boxes). But im getting a lot of mixed messages from them about if I can or cannot send the parcels in advance of myself. 

Slight update if you're interested.. 

Have booked my flight, managed to get it at £453 (economy) with Virgin Atlantic. Their baggage fees are almost identical to BA.

Extra bags will look like:

1x 23 kg (included)

2x 23 kg (£65)

3x 23 kg (£140)

4x 23 kg (£140) 

I'm definitely paying for one extra bag and still just debating have three (in total) so flight and 3x 23 kg bags will cost me less than £700

If you're able to manage something along those lines and you're not too attached to things, I would recommend looking into it. If and when you make trips back and forth in the future you can always add extra baggage to your journeys too! 

Wishing you all the very best! :D 

On 12/30/2020 at 2:54 PM, PBabz said:

Slight update if you're interested.. 

Have booked my flight, managed to get it at £453 (economy) with Virgin Atlantic. Their baggage fees are almost identical to BA.

Extra bags will look like:

1x 23 kg (included)

2x 23 kg (£65)

3x 23 kg (£140)

4x 23 kg (£140) 

I'm definitely paying for one extra bag and still just debating have three (in total) so flight and 3x 23 kg bags will cost me less than £700

If you're able to manage something along those lines and you're not too attached to things, I would recommend looking into it. If and when you make trips back and forth in the future you can always add extra baggage to your journeys too! 

Wishing you all the very best! :D 

Really useful!!

Im not leaving anything behind so its the bin, the box or the suitcase!

I have to say those are very reasonable prices, Ive put in an order for 6 boxes and with insurance and all it ramps up to 220 (better than the £ 400+ quotes I was getting though). But I will also be taking one or two suitcases. More seems unpractical since my direct route to san francisco has been canned so I will have to take connecting flights and what not.

39 minutes ago, Bug&Bug said:

Really useful!!

Im not leaving anything behind so its the bin, the box or the suitcase!

I have to say those are very reasonable prices, Ive put in an order for 6 boxes and with insurance and all it ramps up to 220 (better than the £ 400+ quotes I was getting though). But I will also be taking one or two suitcases. More seems unpractical since my direct route to san francisco has been canned so I will have to take connecting flights and what not.

I’m glad it’s helpful, just thought it might be good to see the prices as they vary. 

Can I be cheeky and ask which company you’re using to send your boxes? You’ve definitely found a great price there!

Sorry about your flight, that’s rubbish! I didn’t even know they have direct routes to San Francisco. I’m headed to Virginia, no direct ones there either so I’m with you there, it’s annoying but just grateful to be able to go, hopefully! 

On 12/31/2020 at 6:57 PM, PBabz said:

I’m glad it’s helpful, just thought it might be good to see the prices as they vary. 

Can I be cheeky and ask which company you’re using to send your boxes? You’ve definitely found a great price there!

Sorry about your flight, that’s rubbish! I didn’t even know they have direct routes to San Francisco. I’m headed to Virginia, no direct ones there either so I’m with you there, it’s annoying but just grateful to be able to go, hopefully! 

Yeah transglobal express, the same company as OP. The quote was half the price than sendmybag and similar.

Their info is a bit confusing though, like one email they say print one thing in another they say its not required, in one part of the website they say you have to provide X forms but then the booking process doesnt say anything. So im going to call them on monday to make sure about the paperwork.

Thing about connecting flights is I dont even know how much time buffer to allow for the POE and customs before the domestic flight....

Guess at least there are flights yet.

Edited by Bug&Bug

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.