ckibs

N-400 question, non U.S. resident?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I haven't been able to find any similar questions on the forum so creating this post. I'm sorry if it's a duplicate, I did search.

So, I'm working on my N-400 application, actually I'm down to the very last question that has me all confused: Part 12, question 8 is in regards to taxes.

Question 8: Have you called yourself a "non-U.S. Resident" on a federal, state or local tax since you became a lawful permanent resident?

I don't know? Where do you even put that? I have looked over my W-4s and our previous 1040s and I don't even see a spot for this? Where would I have chosen my immigration status? I'm freaking out because I don't remember even being asked this question, my employers have been aware of my immigration status and received photocopies of both EAD and GC upon hiring.

We have filed married jointly since I started generating an income (I arrived in January 2016, we got married March 2016, filed for AOS and EAD immediately - I received my EAD June 2016, started working July 2016). I became a lawful permanent resident in August 2016 so we have filed jointly twice since then.

Where would I have to look for this? I hope you guys can guide me here! Thank you in advance, I really appreciate it :)

Our Visa Journey (L) (See our Immigration timeline for a very detailed K-1 and AOS process)

08/17/2015 - I-129F petition/packet sent off
12/17/2015 - Visa Interview in Sweden. We're APPROVED!!!
01/14/2016 - P.O.E. @ Newark International Airport
03/21/2016 - Got married @ town hall
03/22/2016 - AOS, EAD, AP packet sent off
08/03/2016 - Became a Conditional Permanent Resident
05/07/2018 - ROC packet sent off

06/12/2019 - ROC approved (no RFE, no transfer, no interview)

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

The answer is "no" because you have not claimed to be a non-resident on your federal, state, or local tax.

To claim being a non-resident, you would have had to file an I040NR instead of the regular 1040.  You filed regular returns, so you did not file as a non-resident. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
59 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

The answer is "no" because you have not claimed to be a non-resident on your federal, state, or local tax.

To claim being a non-resident, you would have had to file an I040NR instead of the regular 1040.  You filed regular returns, so you did not file as a non-resident. 

Oh thank you so so much, that makes much more sense! I appreciate your reply and I can now send it off :D

Our Visa Journey (L) (See our Immigration timeline for a very detailed K-1 and AOS process)

08/17/2015 - I-129F petition/packet sent off
12/17/2015 - Visa Interview in Sweden. We're APPROVED!!!
01/14/2016 - P.O.E. @ Newark International Airport
03/21/2016 - Got married @ town hall
03/22/2016 - AOS, EAD, AP packet sent off
08/03/2016 - Became a Conditional Permanent Resident
05/07/2018 - ROC packet sent off

06/12/2019 - ROC approved (no RFE, no transfer, no interview)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.