R. Wolfe

Packet 3: no longer mail anything in?

5 posts in this topic

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I just grabbed a fresh copy of the Packet 3 PDF from https://th.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/packets/ and saw that it is very different from the one I've had on hand since 2018 so I'd like to verify:

In 2018, for Packet 3 you would gather together a big pile of documents (DS-2001, DS-160 confirmation, police certificate, affidavit of support, etc..) and mail it to the consulate in Bangkok.

Now, in late 2019, nothing is mailed. Instead you e-mail in images of a few documents (DS-2001, DS-160 confirmation, GSS registration)) and then later carry the rest (originals and copies) with you to the interview.

Is that correct?

With further research, I have confirmed that things have indeed changed between last year and this year, so now nothing is physically mailed in. So I don't need a reply unless someone knows for certain that I am wrong (in which case please let me know!).

I assume that the consulate will mail us instructions and such once they have our paperwork from the US processed. We just received the NOA2 letter and (since I happen to be visiting Thailand next week) wanted to get rolling on the next step ASAP.  Which brings up another question:

Is it even possible to fill out the forms to e-mail in for Packet 3 (DS-2001, DS-160, and GSS page) immediately after getting NOA2? Or is there information (case number maybe?) required in those forms that make it necessary to wait for the consulate to send us some paperwork before we can finish the forms?

I appreciate any help. I'll see how far I can get with those forms on my own and maybe I can answer my own question again :) 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Yes, nothing is being mailed. It took me by surprise. I just got email and that's it. Because I was expecting something in the mail, we've lost almost 2 months. I had to send email to the embassy asking for extension (which we've got for I believe a year).

So, no physical letters. Just emails as of at least last September (2018).

Good luck.

• 3 months later...
Timeline

what emails do they send?  do they send to both petitioner and beneficiary?   Do they send to notify they have received the file? and when approved?  is it really taking 4 months from Noa2 to interview date? 

Timeline
9 hours ago, elkski said:

what emails do they send?  do they send to both petitioner and beneficiary?   Do they send to notify they have received the file? and when approved?  is it really taking 4 months from Noa2 to interview date? 

I (the petitioner) received a confirmation/package 3 from the embassy when they received my file. When we submitted package 3, we used my Fiance's email address. When they sent the interview date, it was sent to my fiance. All of this was via email. We got our NOA2 on Feb 6 and our interview date was scheduled for May 11, package 3 was submitted the same day as we received it. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.