R&OC

Expedited Naturalization 319(b) for military dependents -process description from overseas

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Dear community,

as I am filing for the 319(b) based Naturalization, I figured I am writing down what I needed to do and what may actually differ from a "normal" N-400 application.

For one, the 319(b) application is expedited as you could technically apply for Naturalization the day after you received your Legal Permanent Resident status. Hence the 3 and 5 year physical and continuous residency requirements are lifted. A few things are different and I would appreciate if others would like to add information.

Read the advice on how to fill out the form. You are eligible if you are a military dependent on overseas orders with a year remaining on those orders.

1. No online filing - paper based only

2. Mail to USCIS in Chicago (Attn: Military N-400, 131 S. Dearborn 3rd Floor; Chicago, IL 60603-5517)

3. Biometric information/ form FD 258 needs to be included with the original application package. USCIS will not send you a biometrics appointment as done with other N-400 applications. Our base offers biometric appointments but only on certain days of the week and by appointment only.

4. 2 identical passport photographs - make sure the pictures meet the requirements

5. "Statement of Intent" requirement stating the intent to take up Residence in the United States after termination of overseas employment / military orders.

6. Field Office familiar with 319(b) seems to be Washington DC (Fairfax). I will update this page as I move along in the process but I read that one can have the interview AND the oath ceremony right afterwards (I am going off on what "hashtagme" mentioned.

7. Add all the supporting documents as indicated for all N-400 applications.

8. Name change: N-400 allows you to change your name. I have refrained from even considering it as this may delay the application process (only judicial oath ceremonies allow for that and they tend to get scheduled less frequently) but again, I will try to provide more information as my process moves further along.

My feeling is that many are unfamiliar with the process of filing under 319(b) as it deviates from the regular process. 319(b) does not allow for a local interview or oath ceremony and applicant needs to travel to the US field office as indicated on their application.

Please feel free to add any advice or suggestions!

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

A couple corrections as I am near the end of my wifes naturalization case that is scheduled for interview this month. Under INA 319B you may apply online and is actually faster then postal mail. Also you may choose any field office in the U.S. for your naturalization under 319B. We actually chose Albuquerque, New Mexico for my wifes interview. A lot of military spouses have been accommodated to have their interview and oath ceremony the same day at other field offices other then Fairfax. Just wanted to add to the friendly advice that you provided

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
1 hour ago, R&OC said:

Does anyone have an idea or more insight about expediting the expedited Naturalization unter 319 (b)?

Why would you be trying to expedite it if it’s already a expedited process under 319B? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

The expedited refers to the eligibility not necessarily the process. And we are changing our duty station (overseas) soon. Hence, I was wondering if we could speed up the process?

Timeline
15 hours ago, R&OC said:

The expedited refers to the eligibility not necessarily the process. And we are changing our duty station (overseas) soon. Hence, I was wondering if we could speed up the process?

Oh I see I’m not too sure. How long ago did you file your N-400?  Ours only took 4 months til interview.

• 7 months later...
Timeline

319(b) is like an expedite because if you have a 2 yr conditional green card you can already apply for n400 (skipping roc). 

But you can still have it extra expedited. Meaning like once you get your receipt number, you can call the military hotline to have it expedited. So instead of having a few months to do n400 process like everyone else's n400... you can do it faster in like 1-3 months. I have friends who have done it within 1.5 months because they had orders to move to japan. She's the fastest i have known. But i have met a couple of ladies that had theirs in about the similar time frames.

During this covid19 pandemic time, i'm not so sure how much slower or faster they will go. I have met 2 ladies that did in in june and july respectively and it was still about that same timeframe. I just filled for my n400 this sept 4 so i'll see how it goes. But i hope to also have it done soon because i'm also pcsing to japan very soon.

K1 Visa:
Sent: 12 - 20 - 2017   ||   Received: 12 - 21 - 2017   ||   NOA 1: 12 - 26 - 2017   ||   NOA 2: 07 - 1 - 18   ||  NVC Received: 08 - 02 - 2018 

||  NVC Assigned MNC: 08 - 07 - 2018  ||   USEM Received: 08 - 09 -2018   ||  Interview Date: 08 - 20 - 2018   ||  Visa on Hand: 08 - 24 - 2018   ||  CFO Seminar: 08 - 31 - 2018    ||  POE: 09 - 05 - 2018    ||  Wedding: 09 -16 - 2018

AOS:
Sent: 11 - 20 - 2018   ||   Received: 11 - 23 - 2018   ||   NOA 1: 12 - 03 - 2018   ||  

EAD:
Sent: 11 - 20 - 2018   ||   Received: 11 - 23 - 2018   ||   NOA 1: 12 - 03 - 2018   ||  

AP:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.