JK1880

Getting Tax Return Transcript by mail.

6 posts in this topic

I filed I-130 petition for my spouse and I am now currently living with my wife abroad. I am currently at NVC stage but  I am not able to get transcript online since I do not have US phone Number. I tried to do it my mail but it wont authenticate me and gives me error message saying that my information doesn't match. I tried order by phone 800-908-9946 and automated message says the same. 

I want to order tax return transcript to different mailing address from what I have in my latest tax return. Can please someone shed light into this?

1 minute ago, Nitas_man said:

You may have to submit a copy of the return and all of the income info/schedules/1099’s/records that you used to generate the return.

I already filed tax return my mail and IRS already accepted it. I also already got my refund. Now I need to get tax return transcript to show my income to US embassy in foreign country.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
16 minutes ago, JK1880 said:

I already filed tax return my mail and IRS already accepted it. I also already got my refund. Now I need to get tax return transcript to show my income to US embassy in foreign country.

So did i.  I ran into the same problems you did awhile back and submitted copies of the return/documentation instead of transcripts.  

A copy of the return with every schedule/record of income suffices the same as a transcript.  But we online filed so had records of filing date and acceptance receipt.

I also did manage to pull off getting transcripts sent overseas.  The website doesn’t do good with foreign IP addresses, I used a US VPN to log into the system and that magically the “mismatch error” go away.    As long as the address you are sending the transcript to exactly matches the address on the return they will send it.

I found it easier to submit the return than try to game their system into generating a transcript.

Not having a US number might cause you to have a problem generally showing ties.  Hopefully you have a US-addressed bank account.

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 11/4/2019 at 11:33 AM, Nitas_man said:

So did i.  I ran into the same problems you did awhile back and submitted copies of the return/documentation instead of transcripts.  

A copy of the return with every schedule/record of income suffices the same as a transcript.  But we online filed so had records of filing date and acceptance receipt.

I also did manage to pull off getting transcripts sent overseas.  The website doesn’t do good with foreign IP addresses, I used a US VPN to log into the system and that magically the “mismatch error” go away.    As long as the address you are sending the transcript to exactly matches the address on the return they will send it.

I found it easier to submit the return than try to game their system into generating a transcript.

Not having a US number might cause you to have a problem generally showing ties.  Hopefully you have a US-addressed bank account.

I have a US telephone number (thanks for that tip) and a permanent address in the USA for banking, investing, insurance, drivers license, storage space, etc. but my current address is in Brazil and my address on the 2018 tax return is in Brazil. Planning to file my I-864 with my permanent address early in January, 2020 immediately after filing 2019 taxes. Debating whether or not to move to the permanent address to file the I-864 and when to make the move.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, James D said:

I have a US telephone number (thanks for that tip) and a permanent address in the USA for banking, investing, insurance, drivers license, storage space, etc. but my current address is in Brazil and my address on the 2018 tax return is in Brazil. Planning to file my I-864 with my permanent address early in January, 2020 immediately after filing 2019 taxes. Debating whether or not to move to the permanent address to file the I-864 and when to make the move.

Your “ties” list looks exactly like mine.  Bank, car registration, drivers license, investment/401k, credit cards, storage bldg, cell, home phone (vonage is awesome if you’re overseas) all addressed to US, but my tax returns were addressed to our overseas address.  I didnt bother to change them.  The paystubs and W2’s referenced the foreign address, the 1099’s referenced the US address and since we were taking the exclusion why complicate things.

How we addressed things:

I-864 (2011) mailing address:  US address.  Place of residence:  Foreign address.  Country of domicile:  US.  Attached returns with all the documents that go with the return.

I-134 (2017 - for SB1) Mailing:  US  Physical:  Overseas  Attached transcripts.  I had them sent to our overseas address but I remembered gaming them out using a US VPN and our US vonage number.

I didnt leave first - we all left together.  Sponsored on assets only.  That or a co-sponsor are the only choices coming back from overseas unless you’re working for a US company and getting transferred back. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.