Jump to content

Traveling for first time on Conditional Permanent Residency

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone! I recently was approved for my conditional permanent residency based on my marriage to my US citizen husband. I came on a K1 visa, we got married and I changed my last name to my new married name. I recently received my green card and am so excited to be able to travel home to visit my family back in Canada. But this has raised a few questions. Since my married name is now changed and different from my maiden name that is still on my passport, will this cause issues at the port of entry both in and out of the US since my green card is in my new married name? In addition, does this mean I have to change the last name on my passport as soon as possible? I am hesitant of this since my passport has my visa that I entered the US in it. Not sure if that’s still important or not since I have my green card now. Anyway, any help or advice would be very much appreciated! 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, aaron2020 said:



Bring a photocopy of your marriage certificate with you.  Your marriage certificate will tie your maiden and married names together. 


No need to change your passport. 


Your K-1 visa has been used and no longer matters.


Enjoy your trip.

Thanks so much. I really appreciate your quick response! 


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, does anyone know how to apply for a new passport while residing in the states? My Canadian passport is good for another 6 years but just wondering if it’s important to apply for a new passport in my new name as soon as possible? 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...