Gabrobill

NVC, foreign income and affidavit of support

4 posts in this topic

Dear friends, 

My wife and I lived in Brazil until last june, when she moved back to the US to start a new job. While in Brazil, she was making foreign income and was declaring both US and brazilian taxes. She had no US income at all during the last 3 years, since she was working in Brazil for a brazilian company. Since July, though, she's been working in the US for her county's school district. 

That said, we are now uploading our documents for NVC stage, including the I184. Our lawyer keeps saying we don't need a joint sponsor, even though we've been reading everywhere that her foreign income won't count for the affidavit of support purposes, nor her current income, since her job is new. That said, we've uploaded her most recent US tax transcripts, a letter from her current employer stating her current annual income and her last 4 paystubs. We haven't uploaded any proof of assets. 

What are you guys experiences? Do you suggest we get a joint sponsor? If NVC says that the final decision will be made by the consul, is it too risky to wait till the interview and see what the CO says? If the CO says we'll need a joint sponsor, will that put us on AP? Will it delay the process for too much longer? 

We could ultimately get a joint sponsor, but I would really want to avoid that, for many reasons.

I appreciate your opinions and suggestions.

Edited by Gabrobill

It’s probably going to be up to the consulate officer to accept her as a suitable sponsor. I’d be ready with a joint sponsor anyway since she hasn’t been working in the US for at least 6 months and was working overseas the years before. 

55 minutes ago, p-ana said:

It’s probably going to be up to the consulate officer to accept her as a suitable sponsor. I’d be ready with a joint sponsor anyway since she hasn’t been working in the US for at least 6 months and was working overseas the years before. 

Thank you so much. I think that's what we are going to do. 

14 hours ago, Gabrobill said:

Dear friends, 

My wife and I lived in Brazil until last june, when she moved back to the US to start a new job. While in Brazil, she was making foreign income and was declaring both US and brazilian taxes. She had no US income at all during the last 3 years, since she was working in Brazil for a brazilian company. Since July, though, she's been working in the US for her county's school district. 

That said, we are now uploading our documents for NVC stage, including the I184. Our lawyer keeps saying we don't need a joint sponsor, even though we've been reading everywhere that her foreign income won't count for the affidavit of support purposes, nor her current income, since her job is new. That said, we've uploaded her most recent US tax transcripts, a letter from her current employer stating her current annual income and her last 4 paystubs. We haven't uploaded any proof of assets. 

What are you guys experiences? Do you suggest we get a joint sponsor? If NVC says that the final decision will be made by the consul, is it too risky to wait till the interview and see what the CO says? If the CO says we'll need a joint sponsor, will that put us on AP? Will it delay the process for too much longer? 

We could ultimately get a joint sponsor, but I would really want to avoid that, for many reasons.

I appreciate your opinions and suggestions.

omg!! our timeline and case almost exactly the same!!

best of luck for us, we're going to need it

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.