elizabeth&hisham

They all miss the TV, don't they...?!

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hey everybody,

I just read the recent thread about things that MENA people miss most in the States and it had me nodding and grinning! :lol:

Misses the food? Check. Sense of community spirit? Check. His Mom? Won't discuss it, but check...

And decent (partiularly European-ish) clothes? Double check!! :yes:

Our biggest question for everyone here relates to the TV issue.

We don't have a satellite dish and it isn't really an option where we're renting currently. Tonight, we started looking into websites offering $30-40 downloadable software for streaming live "online TV" via the computer...

Has anyone tried this stuff, or heard about it from anyone else who has? I tend not to trust online stuff very much, but we agreed to look into the options and ask for feedback from others first.

Some of these websites seem pretty questionable -- poorly designed ads, and you can't access a full list of channels. But others look almost reputable. And it would be worth the $40 for him to be able to watch his soccer, and maybe a few Arabic language stations. (The major ones at least, if finding a specifically Moroccan station is too much to hope for.)

Anybody heard about these programs? Particularly as respects futbol and Arabic language stuff?

Best wishes to everyone as our spouses continue adjusting,

:star:

E

Me (Indiana) & Him (Fes, Morocco)

Summer 2002: Met in Morocco
Summer 2004: Began work on 129f; joined VJ rather than hiring a lawyer

I-129f Submission & Approval
Oct 19, 2004: I-129f to VSC
Oct 29: NOA2 online -- approved in 6 days, 10/23 to 10/29!

From NVC to Consulate & All the Way Home...
Nov 8, 2004: Case to Casablanca
Feb 23: Interview; CO said they'll call in 2-3 weeks
Mar 2: Casa calls; visa in hand the next day!
Mar 24: Arrival at JFK; over four hours waiting, but got an EAD
April 15, 2005: Married

AOS
Aug 10, 2005: AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago
Nov 12: AOS prints taken

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009:
EAD renewals often delayed. (?)
Info-Pass officials will say only that "other authorities" are handling our case; we eventually got our Senator's office involved
Spring 2009: A letter arrives, saying his 2005 fingerprints have expired and need to be updated. We head down to Indy and get his prints redone.
June 2009: We FINALLY get the AOS interview letter just shy of FOUR YEARS since submission of AOS application...

July 2009: after the interview, his 10-year Green Card arrives. Alle-freaking-luia.

N-400

Application in progress, 2015. We divorced in 2012 but are still good friends. E is helping organize H's application for Naturalization... fingers crossed!

How hard to pin down the truth, especially when one is obliged to see the world in slices; snapshots conceal as much as they make plain. (Rushdie, Shame)

Filed: Timeline

2 years???? OUCH!!! that is crazy! We just started the AOS/EAD process in April that is scary, does your husband have to keep renewing his EAD then?

Hey everybody,

I just read the recent thread about things that MENA people miss most in the States and it had me nodding and grinning! :lol:

Misses the food? Check. Sense of community spirit? Check. His Mom? Won't discuss it, but check...

And decent (partiularly European-ish) clothes? Double check!! :yes:

Our biggest question for everyone here relates to the TV issue.

We don't have a satellite dish and it isn't really an option where we're renting currently. Tonight, we started looking into websites offering $30-40 downloadable software for streaming live "online TV" via the computer...

Has anyone tried this stuff, or heard about it from anyone else who has? I tend not to trust online stuff very much, but we agreed to look into the options and ask for feedback from others first.

Some of these websites seem pretty questionable -- poorly designed ads, and you can't access a full list of channels. But others look almost reputable. And it would be worth the $40 for him to be able to watch his soccer, and maybe a few Arabic language stations. (The major ones at least, if finding a specifically Moroccan station is too much to hope for.)

Anybody heard about these programs? Particularly as respects futbol and Arabic language stuff?

Best wishes to everyone as our spouses continue adjusting,

E

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Be very careful!!! Some of those things are scams. You pay they money, and they don't send you any software or give you streaming access. Instead, they send you a list of websites that may or may not offer free or paid streaming service.

We use Jump TV. A bit expensive (we pay $20 for 3 months of 2M in Morocco), but it's reliable and not a scam site. There's also another site that mybackpages referred me to where they have free Al Jazeera among other channels. I'm at work, so I don't have the link, but I'll post it when I get home tonight.

ETA: I also found a program, again I can't remember the name of it so I'll post it tonight, where we can get good quality streams of all the European soccer leagues. So far though, I've only been able to find it in Chinese. :blush: But at least he can watch!

Edited by jenn3539

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

There was a thread somewhere with free sites for Moroccan TV and radio, but I know that one of them stopped working - for TV.

I just googled 2m moroccan tv and found this, and it works for now. use it while it does.

http://www.livewtv.com/arabic_channel/2m.htm

I also had some links to the radio, but have to look for them.

There's also some Arabic channels on Dish channels, and if you're willing to pay $40, i'm sure you can get them too.

Met online - May 2004

Met in person - August 2004

Got married - May 2005

Filed I-130 - July 2005

Filed I-129 - August 2005

Interview - February 2006 - 221(g) - still under investigation.

Another useless interview - July 2006 - got nowhere!

August 23, 2007 - he's finally here!

Timeline

Ok, here's the site we use for free Al Jazeera. It's been pretty reliable for quite a few months now, whereas most of the other free sites get shut down rather quickly: http://casavie.com/tv.htm

As I said, we subscribe to 2M through Jump TV, but they also have many other Arabic channels: http://www.jumptv.com

And the program that we use to get the European soccer, albeit in Chinese, is SopCast.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Can you only watch this stuff on the computer though and not on the big tv?

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Timeline
Can you only watch this stuff on the computer though and not on the big tv?

You can get a cable to connect the computer to the TV. We don't have one, just because usually when he's watching soccer or Arabic channels, I want to watch something different on the TV.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Heya! Haven't seen u in a while E.

I have been a ghost too on VJ seem like.

Back to topic, I am gonna end up getting a satellite dish thru some of

the Arab stores. I definitely want to hear the language more so I can pick up on it.

I am in a rush to learn the language. Can't have my little one talking

to me in Arabic and I can't understand him :wacko:

Maryum

1/10/05 Filed I-129f

1/12/05 NOA1

2/9/05 NOA2

2/25/05 Case forwarded to Casablanca

(Marrakech postal issues)

5/2/05 Fiance picks up Packet 3/4

5/6/05 Medical

5/23/05 Interview (recieved 221g)

5/31/05 VISA IN HAND! ALHAMDULLILAH!!

Truly I am blessed

7/6/05 Rachid arrives in USA (POE Philly) with my family

7/8/05 Rachid arrives to Atlanta (home to me)

7/8/05 Wedding!!! (ceremonial)

7/22/05 Recieve SSN Card

9/26/05 Married

12/31/05 AOS/EAD/AP sent off

1/4/06 Package arrives at Chicago Lockbox

1/18/06 Checks cashed all NOA's recvd :)

3/31/06 Recv'd AOS appointment letter for May 23rd

MAY 23RD AOS APPROVED (now waiting for prints to clear)

6/7/06 RECEIVED WELCOME LETTER :)

6/14/06 GREENCARD HATH ARRIVED!!! :))))

05/31/08 Filed Removal of Conditions

06/22/08 Biometrics done

APRROVVED JUNE 1ST 2009

Greencard Recieved 6/7/09 :D

Filed: Timeline

my friend has a dish to get arabic TV. it is some plan where him and all his friends bought into the programming line up. anyways he pays something like 6.00 towards the use of the dish and programming. each person some how has a dish at their house. I will ask more about how they worked it out.

shon.gif

Timeline

Thanks for the cool sites everyone!

We have had Dish Network Arab and French line-up for quite a while and really enjoy it. It was cool being able to watch the Real Madrid game yesterday. That made my soccer-fanatic husband so so so happy.

OUR VISA JOURNEY

02/24/05 - Mailed K-1 to TSC

03/18/05 - K-1 Approval from CSC

06/16/05 - K-1 Interview in Casablanca, Morocco

06/29/05 - K-1 Visa issued

07/07/05 - SO arrives in US

07/22/05 - Married in religious ceremony and reception with family & friends

07/25/05 - Married in civil ceremony

09/14/05 - Mailed AOS/EAD

12/28/05 - AOS/EAD biometrics in West Palm Beach

01/03/06 - EAD card arrives

03/08/06 - AOS interview and AOS approval in West Palm Beach

03/13/06 - Welcome to America letter arrives

03/18/06 - Green card arrives in mail

12/10/07 - I-751 mailed to TSC

12/26/07 - NOA receipt date (from transfer to VSC)

02/14/08 - Biometrics appointment

10/17/08 - Approval date

10/24/08 - Approval letter received

10/25/08 - 10 year green card arrived

10/06/09 - N-400 mailed to Texas Lockbox

10/08/09 - NOA priority date

11/06/09 - Biometrics

01/04/10 - Interview

01/13/10 - Oath Ceremony

Bx82m5.png

www.3rab-sound.com/

My husband used to host on this site. It is arabic music on the net, he used to play American songs for me when he was working and we where chatting :luv:(L)(F) It used to be in english and Arabic but now I believe that it is all arabic, well I guess if I could read Arabic writing, :huh: then I might be able to find where I could view in english. :lol:

These I Googled

http://www.3arbvc.com/radio.php (music)

www.listenarabic.com/

www.arab.de/arab-radio.html

http://www.surfmusic.de/format/arabic.html

Jul 20, 2006 Arrived in Amman, Jordan

Jul 24, 2006 Married in Amman, Jordan

Oct 11, 2006 I130 Approval Oct. 26, 2006 I129F Approval

Nov. 8, 2006 Recieved letter that I-129 was sent to Amman, Jordan

Dec 13, 2006 Recieved Package from Amman Embassy for K3 Intreview date Aug. 15,2007

Mar 05,2007 Embassy called interview scheduled for March 19th

Mar 19, 2007 Interview for K3- AP

May 20, 2007 Embassy called for Hasan to send in his passport!!!

May 24, 2007 Recieved Interview date of June 5th for CR1?

June 05, 2007 Interviewed and she said he was approved, kept passport and said will recieve in 4 days.

June 12, 2007 VISA IN HAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 21, 2007 Hasan arrived in the USA and so very happy!

June 26, 2007 Applied for SSN

July 06, 2007 SSN in hand

July 25, 2007 Green Card in Hand!

Aug 13, 2007 Behind the wheel test, Passed. Now has California DL

I-751

Mar 26, 2009 Sent in I-751

Mar 28, 2009 Proof received

April 1, 2009 check cashed

April 3, 2009 NOA Received

April 16,2009 received bio appt letter

April 24, 2009 Biometrics Appointment

June 6, 2009 Removal of Conditions Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 17, 2009 10 Year Green Card in hand!

Timeline

If you have a south-facing mount location, get a 36" satellite dish and an FTA satellite receiver. You'll spend about $300 but then you've got a ton of Arabic programming for free on Galaxy 25 @ 97W. They've got 2M and Al Maghribia, for example.

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Wow, thanks for the awesome links and advice, everybody!!!

We're able to stream 2M now, which makes him *very* happy. :dance: (And it also means I can start getting my Choumicha fix again... does anybody else have a thing for her cooking show? I love it.)

The next item on his agenda is following the soccer link and then figuring out whether we have access to anything tall and south-facing... :whistle:

Many thanks,

E

Me (Indiana) & Him (Fes, Morocco)

Summer 2002: Met in Morocco
Summer 2004: Began work on 129f; joined VJ rather than hiring a lawyer

I-129f Submission & Approval
Oct 19, 2004: I-129f to VSC
Oct 29: NOA2 online -- approved in 6 days, 10/23 to 10/29!

From NVC to Consulate & All the Way Home...
Nov 8, 2004: Case to Casablanca
Feb 23: Interview; CO said they'll call in 2-3 weeks
Mar 2: Casa calls; visa in hand the next day!
Mar 24: Arrival at JFK; over four hours waiting, but got an EAD
April 15, 2005: Married

AOS
Aug 10, 2005: AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago
Nov 12: AOS prints taken

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009:
EAD renewals often delayed. (?)
Info-Pass officials will say only that "other authorities" are handling our case; we eventually got our Senator's office involved
Spring 2009: A letter arrives, saying his 2005 fingerprints have expired and need to be updated. We head down to Indy and get his prints redone.
June 2009: We FINALLY get the AOS interview letter just shy of FOUR YEARS since submission of AOS application...

July 2009: after the interview, his 10-year Green Card arrives. Alle-freaking-luia.

N-400

Application in progress, 2015. We divorced in 2012 but are still good friends. E is helping organize H's application for Naturalization... fingers crossed!

How hard to pin down the truth, especially when one is obliged to see the world in slices; snapshots conceal as much as they make plain. (Rushdie, Shame)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.