Sarah G

Field Office didn't get I-130 ahead of interview - postponed

4 posts in this topic

Attended for my AOS interview today. Got there at 10am for interview at 11am. Security wouldn't allow us to enter until 10:30am - no problem. Waited until 12pm and then were called to be interviewed, sworn in, photographed and fingerprinted. 

The officer asked for my receipt for the I-130, which I gave her. We filed it in January and it went to Nebraska Service Center. We filed AOS from VWP in June when I came for a visit and we changed our plans and I stayed. 

The officer then informed us that my I-130 is still in Nebraska and she couldn't not proceed with the interview without it. She would have to order it and once she has it we will be given a new interview date. She was very apologetic but there was nothing she could do. It should have been the ordered before we were given an interview. 

I asked her if she had any idea how long it would take to get it, she said no as it was coming from another office. 

So, yes I am disappointed but trying to see it positively as I can use the time to continue to gather evidence to strengthen my case.

My question is, does anyone have any experience of how long this might take? 

41 minutes ago, Sarah G said:

The officer then informed us that my I-130 is still in Nebraska and she couldn't not proceed with the interview without it. She would have to order it and once she has it we will be given a new interview date.

At least they requested it now before Nebraska approved it and subsequently sent it to NVC:

On 10/22/2019 at 2:18 PM, HRQX said:

At least they requested it now before Nebraska approved it and subsequently sent it to NVC:

Yes, that would suck also. 

• 1 month later...

An update to this: USCIS have now confirmed that my I-130 is at the field office. Based on the dates they have given me I believe it was requested on the day of the cancelled interview and arrived in OKC on November 7th. I know I'm impatient but every day that goes by that we don't hear anything or see any update is really hitting me hard. When I call USCIS they just say I'm within normal processing times of up to 25 months, and that I can't contact the field office myself as they do not have public phone numbers. 

Does anyone have any suggestions of anything I can do to prompt them to schedule the new interview? I don't care if it's scheduled for months into the future, I just need a date to work towards! When we were told by the officer that's dealing with our case she said she would schedule it as soon as the paperwork came in, and gave me her name, but I have no way to contact her. 

Thank you 

Edited by Sarah G

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.