kartonio

Getting I-551 stamp at the Green Card Interview (NYC office)

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

We finally have the interview scheduled for my wife's Green Card application. I read that sometimes it's possible to get the I-551 stamp in the passport right then and there if the application is approved. Is that standard practice (we'll be at the New York city office)? Do we need to bring evidence of a need to travel or any other documentation? Her Advance Parole has expired, renewal request is still outstanding after 120 days and we are planning to travel 2 weeks after the interview.

4 minutes ago, kartonio said:

We finally have the interview scheduled for my wife's Green Card application. I read that sometimes it's possible to get the I-551 stamp in the passport right then and there if the application is approved. Is that standard practice (we'll be at the New York city office)? Do we need to bring evidence of a need to travel or any other documentation? Her Advance Parole has expired, renewal request is still outstanding after 120 days and we are planning to travel 2 weeks after the interview.

No, it's not standard practice. You can ask, and bring evidence of travel. 

What I have observed over the years, is that some officers seem to be able to approve the application on the spot. Some others may say "I approve this" but it's not official and they may have to submit it to their supervisor to review and approve which could take several days to several weeks. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
On 10/14/2019 at 12:04 PM, kartonio said:

Like previous reply, it can be hit or miss at the Green Card interview to get the I-551 stamp.

I had a situation where the Green Card interviewing officer, after the interview and everything was ok'd, he sent to our home address a request for a copy of our marriage certificate.  I saw our marriage certificate in our file sitting in front of him at the interview.  One day after our mailing (copy of marriage certificate) to them was delivered with signature required as proof of delivery, the Green Card was approved.  One week later got Green Card in the mail.  Obviously, he was testing us.  

Just best to let things play out, roll with the punches, and make travel plans after receiving your Green Card in the mail.

Edited by Juniker

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else had success recently in getting I-551 stamp at interview? (At NYC office or any other office - though I am in NYC)

I have my employment based interview in the morning, and am departing on a 1 week trip abroad in the evening on the same day. I have a valid H-1B visa and EAD, but no AP document. I plan to try to ask the officer for the stamp during interview due to my travel plans. If not possible, my lawyer says I can still come back on H-1B if my case is approved after I depart the country. However if I can't get the stamp and it is approved later the same day (after the interview) then I'm in a trickier situation and in the worst case I can just wait for the GC to be received and have someone FedEx it to me while I'm outside the country.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Any possibility to enter on LPR status without having the green card in hand yet (other than having the I-551 stamp)? 

Timeline

@asdf000   Our interview is this coming Monday, I'll post here whether we have any luck with the stamp. But obviously all cases are different

Timeline

@asdf000 So our case was approved but didn't get the stamp because the fingerprints have expired, and they need to redo the background check. They expire after 15 months apparently. Oh well, back to waiting for EAD renewal. Hope you have better luck with your case!

5 hours ago, kartonio said:

@asdf000 So our case was approved but didn't get the stamp because the fingerprints have expired, and they need to redo the background check. They expire after 15 months apparently. Oh well, back to waiting for EAD renewal. Hope you have better luck with your case!

Thanks for the update @asdf000! Been wondering about the I-551 stamp myself as well.

Interesting about biometrics + background check, didn't know they expired. My biometrics will be ~12mo old by the time we interview (next month!), so hoping we stand a chance of getting the stamp. How did the officer react when you asked about the stamp?

What's your field office... Manhattan? Also, why does your timeline say you're filing for naturalization if you just completed your green card interview?

5 hours ago, kartonio said:

Thanks for the update @kartonio! That's helpful to know and congrats on the approval. 

My case has been pending only 7 months, biometrics will be 6 months old so I hope I won't face the same issue with expired fingerprints. Did the officer make it sound like s/he would be willing to give the stamp if not for the fingerprint issue, or anything else in the way of that? My interview is in a few weeks at the Manhattan office, will update this thread when completed. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.