Edward Becnel

Change Last Name after Marriage on I-485 AOS?

6 posts in this topic

Is it valid to specify my newlywed wife's last name as my last name on the I-485 AOS form? I listed my last name as her new Family Name and her her maiden name as her Middle Name in the "Current Legal Name" section of the I-485. I also listed her maiden name as her Family Name and her given Middle Name (i.e., the Middle Name listed on her birth certificate) as her Middle Name in the "Other Names You Have Used Since Birth" section of the I-485. The reason why I am asking is because in Louisiana (our state of residence), marriage certificates only list the wife's maiden name as the family/last name. My last name (her new last name) is not listed anywhere on the marriage certificate as her new last name. I had asked the person at the court house where we filed for our marriage certificate about the last name change and the clerk told me to have her last name changed with immigration and also with Social Security. When we filed for my wife's SSN at the Social Security office they told me that they couldn't change her last name on the SS card to my last name, and that I should contact USCIS to ask how to change her last name to mine, first. Then, she would have to file for a new SS card after the name change is complete with immigration.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Edward Becnel said:

Is it valid to specify my newlywed wife's last name as my last name on the I-485 AOS form? I listed my last name as her new Family Name and her her maiden name as her Middle Name in the "Current Legal Name" section of the I-485. I also listed her maiden name as her Family Name and her given Middle Name (i.e., the Middle Name listed on her birth certificate) as her Middle Name in the "Other Names You Have Used Since Birth" section of the I-485. The reason why I am asking is because in Louisiana (our state of residence), marriage certificates only list the wife's maiden name as the family/last name. My last name (her new last name) is not listed anywhere on the marriage certificate as her new last name. I had asked the person at the court house where we filed for our marriage certificate about the last name change and the clerk told me to have her last name changed with immigration and also with Social Security. When we filed for my wife's SSN at the Social Security office they told me that they couldn't change her last name on the SS card to my last name, and that I should contact USCIS to ask how to change her last name to mine, first. Then, she would have to file for a new SS card after the name change is complete with immigration.

File in the new name she wants to be known by.   Once you have an immigration benefit in the new name you can get SSA to change the card 

YMMV

Timeline
2 hours ago, TXBill said:

What's an immigration benefit? Is this when she gets the green card?

EAD,  advance parole or GC 

YMMV

Timeline
12 minutes ago, TXBill said:

And that's what the SSA is going to based the name change on? The name on the was/ap/gc?

Yup

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.