2 posts in this topic

I was employed and self-employed last year so my most recent 2018 transcript has both this. I was wondering since I'm not currently self-employed do I have to provide 1040s and the schedules per the instructions below even thought I didn't select Part 6, item 2 since it no longer applies?

If you selected Part 6., Item Number 2. that you are self-employed, you should have completed one of the following forms with your Federal income tax return: Schedule C (Profit or Loss from Business), Schedule D (Capital Gains), Schedule E (Supplemental Income or Loss), or Schedule F (Profit or Loss from Farming). You must include each and every Form 1040 Schedule, if any, that you filed with your Federal income tax return.

Also, should i submit transcripts for 3 years past or just more recent? I didn't make enough in 2016 since I was in school so I'm not sure if that would be a detriment if provided. Are most people just providing most recent year now? 

Thank you in advance for your help! 

1 hour ago, Hphelp said:

I was employed and self-employed last year so my most recent 2018 transcript has both this. I was wondering since I'm not currently self-employed do I have to provide 1040s and the schedules per the instructions below even thought I didn't select Part 6, item 2 since it no longer applies?

If you selected Part 6., Item Number 2. that you are self-employed, you should have completed one of the following forms with your Federal income tax return: Schedule C (Profit or Loss from Business), Schedule D (Capital Gains), Schedule E (Supplemental Income or Loss), or Schedule F (Profit or Loss from Farming). You must include each and every Form 1040 Schedule, if any, that you filed with your Federal income tax return. 

That's only of you are submitting the actual tax return form copy. You are not. You are submitting the return transcript.

You only submit one option not both.

Either:

1. All pages and schedules of the federal tax return copy plus the earnings statement(s)

OR

2. The return trancript (period).

If you choose 2. and have filed as married filing jointly, only then do you need to submit the earnings statement(s) of the sponsor as well and the only reason for that is so the sponsor's individual income can be distinguished from the individual income of their spouse as the transcript will show their income as their combined income on their joint return transcript. They want the sponsor's individual income, not their combined marital income.

1 hour ago, Hphelp said:

Also, should i submit transcripts for 3 years past or just more recent? I didn't make enough in 2016 since I was in school so I'm not sure if that would be a detriment if provided. Are most people just providing most recent year now? 

Most recent is required. Three years is optional and used to prove stability if your most recent is below the poverty guidelines.

Screenshot_20190814-120726_OneDrive.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.