Jump to content

IR1 Keep asking for more Docs

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello all.


I have petitioned for my wife's Green Card a while back (March 2018) and the petition was approved. I have been following the process via the NVS site and all the documentation has been accepted. Now they are asking for my proof of employment as well as proof of my assets. As I do not have a 'job' a note regarding my income and support will be made upon the interview. My wife has always been the bread winner during my time in Australia and for the past few years my only income was from when we renovated a property and sold it. As I am a builder that has always been a way to make a  "income" without having a job so I could be around to take care of the kids. 


We have a good amount of money in the bank and the rest of the cash is in the house which is currently on the market. Once that sells we will have a few years worth on saving in the bank that if we some how never gained employment stateside we could still live for 4-5 years. 


My question is, is this something to be worried about? This process has seemed to be dragging with the last response from the NVS took 6 1\2 weeks and for the 3rd time they are asking for more documentation while everything on the site has already been accepted. I haven't has a US tax return in over 3 years due to not being employed.


Other then asking for proof of my assets and employment there is nothing else needed..... for now. 


If it matters, my wife's business will still be running after we move to America which will be a source of income for the family while we get set up in the states and while I get back to work. 



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are a few questions I think you need to answer to get better advice:


1) What is your household size? (This matters in determining the total financial requirements)

2) How much is a good amount of money in the bank? (FYI you generally can't use your primary residence as an asset at they don't see you being able to quickly liquify it, even if it is on that market)

3) Do you have plans to use a joint sponsor?


Here are the requirements if you can't meet the income requirements

  • You may add the cash value of your assets. This includes money in savings accounts, stocks, bonds, and property. To determine the amount of assets required to qualify, subtract your household income from the minimum income requirement (125% of the poverty level for your family size). You must prove the cash value of your assets is worth five times this difference (the amount left over).
    • Exceptions:
      • If the person being sponsored is a spouse, or son/daughter (who is 18 years or older) of a U.S. citizen: The minimum cash value of assets must be three times the difference between the sponsor’s household income and 125% of the federal poverty guide line for the household.
      • If the person being sponsored is an orphan coming to the United States for adoption: The adoptive parents’ assets need to equal or exceed the difference between the household income and 125% of the federal poverty line for the household size.
  • You may count the income and assets of members of your household who are related to you by birth, marriage, or adoption. To use their income you must have listed them as dependents on your most recent federal tax return or they must have lived with you for the last 6 months. They must also complete a Form I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member. If the relative you are sponsoring meets these criteria you may include the value of their income and assets, but the immigrant does not need to complete Form I-864A unless he or she has accompanying family members.
  • You may count the assets of the relatives you are sponsoring.



Your wife's income can't be used for your requirements as a sponsor. If you don't have an income and don't have enough assets that meet the above requirements you will most likely need a join sponsor 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...