4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I'm veey confused with the section "Present Work/Education/Training Information" on DS 260.

I have worked as an Occupational Therapist(OT) for 5 years but resigned last July. I was wondering if Primary and Present would mean the same thing here? Cause I consider OT(Medical/health) as my primary occupation but I'm currently unemployed. So for present, it would mean I'm a Homemaker. And opens up the "previous work" section next. Ehich is good so I can show my work experience. This section is not given if I choose Medical/Health for Primary Occupation. 

Now I am very confused. I have read some articles that consulates have been screening applicants with emphasis on their possible contribution to the country. I wouldn't want them to think that I am currently unemployed and unable to contribute once I am there. Am I overthinking here? What should I answer?

Thank you in advance.

Edit: got it now

Edited by Don and Demi

Filed: Timeline
3 hours ago, Don and Demi said:

Hi everyone! I'm veey confused with the section "Present Work/Education/Training Information" on DS 260.

I have worked as an Occupational Therapist(OT) for 5 years but resigned last July. I was wondering if Primary and Present would mean the same thing here? Cause I consider OT(Medical/health) as my primary occupation but I'm currently unemployed. So for present, it would mean I'm a Homemaker. And opens up the "previous work" section next. Ehich is good so I can show my work experience. This section is not given if I choose Medical/Health for Primary Occupation. 

Now I am very confused. I have read some articles that consulates have been screening applicants with emphasis on their possible contribution to the country. I wouldn't want them to think that I am currently unemployed and unable to contribute once I am there. Am I overthinking here? What should I answer?

Thank you in advance.

Edit: got it now

Primary Occupation: OT

Present: Homemaker

I'm basing this on canadian immigration definition of primary occupation..http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1007&top=29

You can also check out the following re: DS-260 but the 2 lawyers didn't have same answer. One has the same answer as the canadian immigration definition.

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/primary-occupation-on-ds-260-form--3405058.html

And yes, you are overthinking it regarding present occupation. You're coming in on a family-based immigration visa. They'll be more concerned about the affidavit of support that your husband will provide and the totality of the petition. Nothing to do with your current employment or lack there of... imo.

8 hours ago, xyz12345 said:

Primary Occupation: OT

Present: Homemaker

I'm basing this on canadian immigration definition of primary occupation..http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1007&top=29

You can also check out the following re: DS-260 but the 2 lawyers didn't have same answer. One has the same answer as the canadian immigration definition.

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/primary-occupation-on-ds-260-form--3405058.html

And yes, you are overthinking it regarding present occupation. You're coming in on a family-based immigration visa. They'll be more concerned about the affidavit of support that your husband will provide and the totality of the petition. Nothing to do with your current employment or lack there of... imo.

I have actually found a choice of "NOT EMPLOYED" which I think fits best with my current situation.

Thank you for this. I've been stressing out on littlw things these past few days. Lol. It's good to hear some reasoning on why I shouldn't be. Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.