tennnis123

Divorce and 5 year rule

3 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi guys I am asking for a relative of mine that is not very good with technology. I also dont want to go into details of the relationship.

This is her timeline:

-10/14 - Married to USC husband

-07/16 - Got 2 year conditional green card

-05/18 - Applied for removal of conditions

-06/19 - Got 10 year permanent green card

-04/21 - She wants to apply for N-400

During her marriage I have been a witness that she is not in the most healthy relationship and she is now looking to divorce before the year ends and relocate to another state. She understands that she has to wait for the 5 year of permanent residency which will be in 07/21 minus 90 days for filing. Will her divorce affect her N-400 in someway? Is there any documentation that she still needs to provide to prove that her marriage was legitimate? She still has all the documents for her removal of conditions and as of today they still live together but she thinks he is going to leave her soon.

There are so many posts on here where as soon as people get their green cards they are willing to jump ship. It makes me wonder if the some of these marriages were real in the first place. When I read some posts, I realise the marriage was just a means to an end. Encourage your relative to get some counseling with her spouse and try to make it work. It takes two to make it work. 

With that being said, being divorced shouldn't have an impact when applying for citizenship after 5 years based on what I have read over the years.  I wish "your relative" well on her citizenship journey.

Edited by OneD

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
44 minutes ago, OneD said:

There are so many posts on here where as soon as people get their green cards they are willing to jump ship. It makes me wonder if the some of these marriages were real in the first place. When I read some posts, I realise the marriage was just a means to an end. Encourage your relative to get some counseling with her spouse and try to make it work. It takes two to make it work. 

With that being said, being divorced shouldn't have an impact when applying for citizenship after 5 years based on what I have read over the years.  I wish "your relative" well on her citizenship journey.

Thank you and I used to think the same way and made me doubt of the legitimacy of some of the marriages on the forum but now that is happening to someone I know and I know their marriage was legit I try to understand and I try not to judge. Divorces happen even when there are not immigration circumstances involved, this couple as far as I know they have done their best efforts to keep their marriage together. As for your marriage advise (that nobody asked for) to get counseling, they have done so and like I said on the original post I don't want to provide more personal details as I am not the person involved and I don't want to provide intimate details of someone else's personals lives.  

Edited by tennnis123

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.