Jump to content

International travel with GC and passport having different last names

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi, I am a permanent resident and my green card has married name on it, while my Ukrainian passport has maiden name. It seems like the only way to change my passport to married name is to do it in Ukraine (complicated procedure), but I’m not going there any time soon.

My question is it a mandatory requirement to change last name on the passport or I can continue using it with maiden name on it? ( it is still valid for 7 more years).

I have an international flight booked to Guatemala in the few months, tickets are on maiden name to match passport. Will I have troubles leaving Guatemala since my passport and green card have different last names?

I’m taking certified copy of my marriage certificate, but it only indicates my maiden name on it. Will that be sufficient to explain name difference?

If anyone had a similar issue appreciate your comments/ advices regarding this matter. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Take the marriage certificate with you.  Airlines can also input your GC into Secureflight (check) which will comeback as able to enter the US.    If you are flying an US Based carrier and most LATAM carries  you can put your green card and passport in frequent flyer profile.


March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^  What Paul & Mary said - carry a copy of your marriage certificate.  :)  


Airfare must be in the name in the passport


"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"



HandArrow.gif       Visa Process at USEM for the Philippines;  https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/us-embassy-usem.html

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...