goursh

Petitioner's "places of residence" if they've been traveling?

11 posts in this topic

I'm a little curious what the consensus is on the term "residence," since the I-129 asks for all US states and foreign countries in which "I've resided" since 18 years of age.

With my parents' house as my legal residence (and homebase), I've been traveling more or less that entire time since reaching 18, aside from two 9-month spells: studying in Europe and teaching English in Asia. So I'm definitely putting these two places because I actually had an apartment and bank account, etc; but what about the 1-3 month stints in other countries all around the world? Never found myself in a particular place longer than that (most the time just a few weeks), and certainly never had an apartment to myself, bills, et cetera.

I certainly don't consider any other places besides the first 2 an actual 'residence', but I am curious if they'll look into my passport history and get curious why I spent a few months in Nepal or India (for example) and didn't list it (because I lived out of hostels or farms, always switching around). 

What does everyone here think? Anyone with a similar story? Thank you!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline

Please put anything which was 30 days or more.  Under 30 days i would not include as its too short to establish residency.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, goursh said:

I'm a little curious what the consensus is on the term "residence," since the I-129 asks for all US states and foreign countries in which "I've resided" since 18 years of age.

With my parents' house as my legal residence (and homebase), I've been traveling more or less that entire time since reaching 18, aside from two 9-month spells: studying in Europe and teaching English in Asia. So I'm definitely putting these two places because I actually had an apartment and bank account, etc; but what about the 1-3 month stints in other countries all around the world? Never found myself in a particular place longer than that (most the time just a few weeks), and certainly never had an apartment to myself, bills, et cetera.

I certainly don't consider any other places besides the first 2 an actual 'residence', but I am curious if they'll look into my passport history and get curious why I spent a few months in Nepal or India (for example) and didn't list it (because I lived out of hostels or farms, always switching around). 

What does everyone here think? Anyone with a similar story? Thank you!

Touristing is not residing

YMMV

1 minute ago, payxibka said:

Touristing is not residing

That's how I've felt. Even long-term tourism, right?

36 minutes ago, UAreWhatuBecame said:

Please put anything which was 30 days or more.  Under 30 days i would not include as its too short to establish residency.

30 days or more in the same country or the same fixed domicile?

Timeline
Just now, goursh said:

That's how I've felt. Even long-term tourism, right?

I think you need to look at your "entry" status in each locale in conjunction with the amount time spent 

YMMV

Timeline

30 days in a fixed domicile.  Also include an attachment with explaining why you were homeless or a vagabond with some details of each location.

Timeline
40 minutes ago, UAreWhatuBecame said:

If you entered Canada and were granted a  6 month tourist entry, would you write it down?

YMMV

Depends if I rented an apartment to stay for a large chunk of that 6 months. As a self-employed/independent contractor of sorts, one could theoretically have "resided" there during that tourist entry, no? This is where I am stuck at--the legal definition of the term. I have nothing to hide but have no desire to make the story sound confusing.

4 minutes ago, UAreWhatuBecame said:

30 days in a fixed domicile.  Also include an attachment with explaining why you were homeless or a vagabond with some details of each location.

This is a good idea..

Timeline

Use Part 8 on the last page or add a page that has the same references as part 8 describes. same format as part 8.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.