RCable

Moving belongings from Canada to USA - can they be shipped to USC

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
5 hours ago, LisaUK said:

$800?! You must not have had many things and/or sent them by slow boat. I have done the UK to US move twice and it was way more than $800. Assuming he has an adequate amount of belongings $5K doesn't sound too crazy price wise. Worth shopping around though as you may find something a grand or so cheaper.

I had about 30 boxes and that's what my husband has to ship down, he's not bringing any furniture or kitchen stuff, just personal belongings. When I moved from New Jersey to California a few years ago it was about $2k and I brought way more stuff. That's why $5k seemed really steep for what little stuff he was bringing. But I think he decided to rent a UHAUL and bring it down himself when he moves since he's not pressed for time.

1 hour ago, RCable said:

I had about 30 boxes and that's what my husband has to ship down, he's not bringing any furniture or kitchen stuff, just personal belongings. When I moved from New Jersey to California a few years ago it was about $2k and I brought way more stuff. That's why $5k seemed really steep for what little stuff he was bringing. But I think he decided to rent a UHAUL and bring it down himself when he moves since he's not pressed for time.

Did you ship your boxes via boat? Boat would make more sense if it was so cheap as it takes a lot longer to arrive. I just can't fathom how otherwise it would have been $800 unless they messed up.

I have been through the K1 Visa process twice. My first journey began in 2006 & I surrendered my Green Card prior to filling the I-751

*My timeline shows my Visa Journey second time around*

N400 - Citizenship - Santa Ana CA

15/07/2018: Filed online

24/07/2018: NOA

09/08/2018: Biometrics Appointment 

19/07/2019: Interview - APPROVED

22/08/2019: Oath Ceremony

JOURNEY COMPLETE. OFFICIALLY A US CITIZEN

**I was eligible to apply for citizenship in 2014,  I just hadn’t done so**

DS-11 - Application for Passport

27/08/2019: Submitted application through USPS

Member Reviews: None Found

Timeline
16 minutes ago, LisaUK said:

Did you ship your boxes via boat? Boat would make more sense if it was so cheap as it takes a lot longer to arrive. I just can't fathom how otherwise it would have been $800 unless they messed up.

Yes, it was via cargo ship, it only took like 3 weeks. But considering my 3000 mile move from coast to coast was only $2000 with way more than what my husband is sending, $5000 seems really steep for his 1200 mile move. But since I posted this, he shopped around a lot and we have had much better quotes. It seems like the people who were quoting $5000 just didn't want to take on the job. 

7 minutes ago, RCable said:

Yes, it was via cargo ship, it only took like 3 weeks. But considering my 3000 mile move from coast to coast was only $2000 with way more than what my husband is sending, $5000 seems really steep for his 1200 mile move. But since I posted this, he shopped around a lot and we have had much better quotes. It seems like the people who were quoting $5000 just didn't want to take on the job. 

Gotcha. Yeah the longer time frame via boat makes things a lot cheaper. If he is driving his belongings down rather than flying them that will make things exceptionally cheaper. Great to hear you have it figured out and within budget.

Edited by LisaUK

I have been through the K1 Visa process twice. My first journey began in 2006 & I surrendered my Green Card prior to filling the I-751

*My timeline shows my Visa Journey second time around*

N400 - Citizenship - Santa Ana CA

15/07/2018: Filed online

24/07/2018: NOA

09/08/2018: Biometrics Appointment 

19/07/2019: Interview - APPROVED

22/08/2019: Oath Ceremony

JOURNEY COMPLETE. OFFICIALLY A US CITIZEN

**I was eligible to apply for citizenship in 2014,  I just hadn’t done so**

DS-11 - Application for Passport

27/08/2019: Submitted application through USPS

Member Reviews: None Found

Timeline
On 8/19/2019 at 9:50 AM, RCable said:

My husband is getting ready to list his house in Canada and wants all of his stuff out for staging. Is it possible for him to send his belongings down to me before he has his visa? 

Also, can anyone recommend any good moving companies? He's just moving some boxes and he's been quoted $5000+, which seems crazy as I once moved from London to the US for $800.

Thanks in advance!

I contacted a professional shipping company and spoke to a woman who had done cross border shipping for over 20 years.

She told me the rules are very clear. If I sent boxes that were solely for the US Citizen and was not my own stuff (Canadian) it was okay. Everything had to be properly labeled. I could not have any "mixed" household items.

She said the chances of a larger shipment being seized were extremely high. She advised to wait until we had our visa as you have to pay for storage at the border if your shipment gets seized. You will also pay for movers twice as they aren't going to ship for free.

Edited by acidrain

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.