MassSteff

Time outside the United States

4 posts in this topic

Filling in the online form, and this section is causing me all manner of mental gymnastics.

Situation: Came in on a K1 visa in 2016, so I am using the 3 year rule to apply for naturalization. Between August 2014 and May 2016 when I entered the country as a resident alien, I did a lot of travel and it calculates at 652 days outside of the USA over the last 5 years. Entering these on the online form results in a warning that I have been out of the United States for too long. Reading the forum, I'm seeing paper filers modified their form but not found much for digital filters. If I don't include the trips to and from the USA in the period before I entered as a resident alien the form validates. 

How have other people handled this with the online form? 

Thanks for any feedback!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 minutes ago, MassSteff said:

Filling in the online form, and this section is causing me all manner of mental gymnastics.

Situation: Came in on a K1 visa in 2016, so I am using the 3 year rule to apply for naturalization. Between August 2014 and May 2016 when I entered the country as a resident alien, I did a lot of travel and it calculates at 652 days outside of the USA over the last 5 years. Entering these on the online form results in a warning that I have been out of the United States for too long. Reading the forum, I'm seeing paper filers modified their form but not found much for digital filters. If I don't include the trips to and from the USA in the period before I entered as a resident alien the form validates. 

How have other people handled this with the online form? 

Thanks for any feedback!

The time you spent outside the US before you became a permanent resident doesn't count against you in this case - I would only add time since you became a PR.

^ only include the time spent abroad since you became a Permanent Resident. 

Be prepared for the eternal waiting game. Be prepared for average news.

Adjustment of Status Journey

Spoiler

07/16/2013 - Successful interview, 2-yr Green Card approved!

Removal of Conditions Journey

Spoiler

11/03/2015 - Approved, card production ordered (164 days!)

11/10/2015 - 10-yr Green Card received (IR6) -- journey over for now!

Citizenship Journey (N-400)

Spoiler

07/15/2019 - Ceremony scheduled for 07/31/2019
07/31/2019 - Journey is finally over. Citizen of the USA.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.