Moon&Stars

Expedite EAD without job offer?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I'm curious, has anyone in recent history been able to successfully expedite the EAD without a job offer in hand? I've received news that I (petitioner) need surgery soon that will take several months of recovery time, which means not working. I can apply for short-term disability, but it won't be enough to cover our bills. It would be great if my husband could start working while I'm recovering but I'm not sure if we need to find a job and get a written offer first. I'm not confident in our ability to find a job willing to provide an offer without an EAD already in hand. Has anyone been approved without a job offer connected to their expedite request? If so, what did you do?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

You can always claim financial hardship but from what I understand you will need evidence of such hardship, as in: bills that are beyond what you can afford, statements from doctors saying you are unable to work, documents from your company saying you will not get paid for X amount of time. I  not sure if just an estimate coming from you would be enough, you might need solid evidence from several sources.

Plus the problem with trying to expedite an EAD without a job offer is that the EAD itself does not guarantee your husband will get a job offer any sooner. While it is true that it is hard to get a job offer when you don't have an EAD, there are other factors to consider, such as the applicant's skill set and references. 

And finally... With so many people applying for expedites these days, you really want to make sure you have a solid case. Gather as much evidence as you can and have your husband apply for jobs nonstop, because a job offer letter might help. Give it a try even if he doesn't get it but make sure to have a plan B in case things don't work out.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.