ice-qube

Can I apply for TN-1 visa while in spousal consular process?

20 posts in this topic

On 7/31/2019 at 3:51 PM, ice-qube said:

Rules and regulations can't be ridiculous? 

Yes they can. There are some rules that seem ridiculous. But it does not apply in this case. Because the rule was not put into place simply to make people wait a long time. The long wait is just an unfortunate affect of the rule. There is a big difference.

It is like when you are going to fly. The security check-in is long and tedious. You even have to remove some article of clothing. It wasn't always like that. I still remember before 9/11 where I could arrive at an airport 30 minutes before my flight and not only have enough time to catch my flight, but still be able to grab a bag of chips and a magazine at the local store in the terminal before boarding the plane. But because of new rules on safety and security, we have to get scanned on every part of our bodies. The long lines in the security check in is a result of new safety rules. See the difference?

Immigrating is going to take time. The government agencies are looking into that person's past. Everything from birth including family, health, and criminal history. 

It is going to take time.

Edited by Unlockable

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 7/31/2019 at 1:07 PM, ice-qube said:

This is exactly what I feared. Ridiculous.

It's a ridiculously long time to hold up one's life. Who knows if my marriage survives.

Is there any possibility of your spouse moving to Canada to be with you while you wait? If you are a Canadian citizen, your spouse could receive a permanent resident visa for Canada in less than 6 months. We went that route because the US visa is taking so long. I was approved for Canadian PR in less than 4 months from filing to visa in hand. It is very fast for Americans with no red flags to be approved. We still plan to move to the US once the green card comes through, but I will still be able to meet the residency requirements for Canadian PR after we move, as being with your spouse outside Canada still counts as a day spent in Canada. It also gives you the option to move back to Canada easily if you ever want/need to. Just a thought to help you be reunited sooner. It is definitely hard. Good luck to you!

Timeline
30 minutes ago, PrincessCRV said:

Is there any possibility of your spouse moving to Canada to be with you while you wait? If you are a Canadian citizen, your spouse could receive a permanent resident visa for Canada in less than 6 months. We went that route because the US visa is taking so long. I was approved for Canadian PR in less than 4 months from filing to visa in hand. It is very fast for Americans with no red flags to be approved. We still plan to move to the US once the green card comes through, but I will still be able to meet the residency requirements for Canadian PR after we move, as being with your spouse outside Canada still counts as a day spent in Canada. It also gives you the option to move back to Canada easily if you ever want/need to. Just a thought to help you be reunited sooner. It is definitely hard. Good luck to you!

My spouse actually *is* here in Canada, and she has her PR for Canada. The issue is now she wants to move back to the US for school immediately (as of this month). So she is going, but I have no idea when I am going to be able to join her, alas. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

My spouse actually *is* here in Canada, and she has her PR for Canada. The issue is now she wants to move back to the US for school immediately (as of this month). So she is going, but I have no idea when I am going to be able to join her, alas. 

Ah, I see. Well, the only positive I can give you is at least you can visit her easily. Citizens from high-fraud countries usually aren't able to visit during the I-130 process, but Canadians have it pretty easy in that respect. My husband was able to visit me quite a bit while we waited. I was also able to go up there a few times. I know it isn't easy, but we used Skype A LOT! Hopefully, you get out of Nebraska quicker than we did. We're still waiting for Montreal to schedule an interview. Wishing you all the best! 

Timeline
Just now, PrincessCRV said:

Ah, I see. Well, the only positive I can give you is at least you can visit her easily. Citizens from high-fraud countries usually aren't able to visit during the I-130 process, but Canadians have it pretty easy in that respect. My husband was able to visit me quite a bit while we waited. I was also able to go up there a few times. I know it isn't easy, but we used Skype A LOT! Hopefully, you get out of Nebraska quicker than we did. We're still waiting for Montreal to schedule an interview. Wishing you all the best! 

Thank you so much for your well wishes... I hope they give you your interview ASAP, too! Well... you are correct that I have it better than others, visiting the US is much easier for us Canadians than it is for people in other countries. We will obviously be using Skype or FaceTime or whatever video messaging tool we can a lot, again--it's like going back in time, when I first knew her and she was in the US. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.