MattW83

I-134 Income Question

11 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

I couldn't find a case quite like mine, but maybe someone with recent experience can help me.

I expect the NOA2 for our K-1 in early September, and want to be sure I have the right documentation of my current income, which is tricky: I lived in Da Nang for all of 2018, working at a University there. They never provided any proof of income to me - they even put a false amount on my contract, to save on health insurance costs I suspect.

My fiance and I lived together from about April 2018-June 2019 in Da Nang.

I moved back to the US June 1, 2019 to accept a job offer here, and my income is more than enough to satisfy the 120-125% requirement. So, in short:

• I did not file 2018 taxes (everything I read said it wasn't necessary - and it probably wouldn't meet the income requirement anyway)
  • I will not have tax transcripts (obviously) from 2019 before her interview date
  • I can supply pay stubs and a letter from my current employer stating my income
  • I can provide a co-sponsor, if they'll accept it

I was hoping to get some advice from someone who has recently gone through this. Is this enough? Will it be accepted in HCMC? Any feedback is welcome, thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It's going to be tough to find someone with your exact situation that can shed some light.  

From my experience and what I have gathered being on here, work history and current employment are what is most important.

Can you provide tax transcript prior to 2018 that would help substantiate your work history?

Do keep records of any pay stubs moving forward as this will be what they will be reviewing for your income.  

Lastly, I wouldn't sweat this too much, just provide everything that you are able to that shows work history and current employment and you will be fine.  The last full year you have verifiable work with income will be the benchmark they use to determine eligibility.  If you have no work history prior, they will use your current pay stubs and employment to determine your income.  

10 minutes ago, Hoa Nguyen said:

Can you provide tax transcript prior to 2018 that would help substantiate your work history?

I appreciate it. I'm definitely sweating it, as you can tell. I do have the transcripts from previous years. In 2017 I only was taxed on income for half a year (I left that job and worked for cash on the family farm in June 2017), which (barely) meets the 125% level.  In 2016 I made more than enough, close to my current income level.

Thanks again for the reply. I'm just trying not to screw this up on my end.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Hoa Nguyen said:

The last full year you have verifiable work with income will be the benchmark they use to determine eligibility.

On what do you base this statement?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, missileman said:

On what do you base this statement?

I am basing this on common sense.  If OP has filed a US tax return in 2017 and did not work in the US in 2018 and is unable to provide verifiable income in Vietnam, then USCIS would only have 2017 data and his current employment data to base their decision on.  Apology if this is incorrect?

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Hoa Nguyen said:

I am basing this on common sense.  If OP has filed a US tax return in 2017 and did not work in the US in 2018 and is unable to provide verifiable income in Vietnam, then USCIS would only have 2017 data and his current employment data to base their decision on.  Apology if this is incorrect?

My understanding is that eligibility is based on current and future income....income which will continue in the US......not past tax filings.....except for self-employed sponsors.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, missileman said:

My understanding is that eligibility is based on current and future income....income which will continue in the US......not past tax filings.....

I'm not so sure about the future income part because that can be difficult to assess in certain situations.

My money is that they would take the easiest route to determine the annual income amount...which is to take prior year tax filling.  

Proof of current income is just to show employment and possible changes that would adjust your prior year's income amount.

Prior year filling is really the most reliable way to quantify your annual income.

Edited by Hoa Nguyen

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Hoa Nguyen said:

My money is that they would take the easiest route to determine the annual income amount...which is to take prior year tax filling. 

Current income is not determined by prior tax filing.

https://cliniclegal.org/resources/calculating-income-affidavit-support

Calculating income for the affidavit of support

image.png.8911c803949d656e1d9907373488aa98.png

Edited by missileman

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Hoa Nguyen said:

Prior year filling is really the most reliable way to quantify your annual income.

Not for a petitioner/sponsor is currently unemployed........

Edited by missileman

Timeline

Nice work an the analysis.  So OP is good to go and can use his current pay stubs to determine current year income.

As with most things here YMMV.  I used all figures from my prior year return when I filled out my forms.  Encountered no issues and was never asked any questions relating to my income on the interviews.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.