visajourneymbr12

What does the I-551 endorsement stamp on an immigrant visa look like?

4 posts in this topic

My father will be coming to the US on an approved immigrant visa but needs to leave immediately for a couple weeks, to take care of things back home.

On his visa, it states "UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR.” 

He recently got a new passport though, so the immigrant visa is on the old passport. I'm worried that if the immigration officer doesn't stamp his old passport (where the visa is), he won't have a temporary I-551 to re-enter the US with.

If I understand this page https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/temporary-i-551-stamps-and-mrivs correctly, the endorsement stamp needs to be ON or NEAR the visa for the visa to function as a temporary green card, for re-entry and work authorization purposes.

I was wondering, if anyone can share if anyone can their experience with the temporary I-551 stamp. Is it just a regular entry stamp like shown on the USCIS website:

image.jpeg.169f30836d890ee57fbdb577d3f894a8.jpeg

Or is it something like this:

image.jpeg.2ea79623d6a13eb49cfc09a7ae04d912.jpeg

Does the stamp have to be on the actual visa?
Edited by visajourneymbr12

If the new passport is stamped, the officer will write the visa number next to that. In that case he should always travel with both until he gets his plastic green card. 

But, I don’t understand why the immigrant visa is in an old passport, don’t they always tell you to bring a passport valid at least 6 months beyond date of intended entry? I presume that is partly so that this situation doesn’t happen.

edit: yes they do https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/interview/interview-prepare/required-documents.html

• Unexpired passport valid for six months beyond your intended date of entry into the United States and a photocopy of the biographic page (where your name and photo are located).

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.