maddycheese

Starting the K-1 Process- no address

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Hi Everyone!

I'm just starting the K-1 process with my fiancee who lives in Ethiopia. I just got back from visiting him, we've met at total of 7 times in the last 4.5 years and I lived in Ethiopia from Aug 2018-Jan 2019. 

I'm having trouble with his address since he lives in rural Ethiopia and therefore does not have an address. We talked about him getting a PO Box at the biggest town 2 hours away, but that isn't technically his physical address. So far we just put his town, the state, and the country. He doesn't have a street address. How did anyone else deal with this issue? 

Also, we filled some parts out while I was there, especially the part where we have to write his address in his native language (Tigrinya). He made a mistake and had to cross out what he wrote and then wrote the correct part next to it, is this okay? Or should I find some white out? I can't write in Tigrinya and it's not the most common language so needing a new paper could present a problem. 

Anyway, thanks in advance for all your advice, I'm very nervous taking all of this on since it seems very exacting and bit complicated.

Madeline 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline
On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 5:00 PM, maddycheese said:

Hi Everyone!

I'm just starting the K-1 process with my fiancee who lives in Ethiopia. I just got back from visiting him, we've met at total of 7 times in the last 4.5 years and I lived in Ethiopia from Aug 2018-Jan 2019. 

I'm having trouble with his address since he lives in rural Ethiopia and therefore does not have an address. We talked about him getting a PO Box at the biggest town 2 hours away, but that isn't technically his physical address. So far we just put his town, the state, and the country. He doesn't have a street address. How did anyone else deal with this issue? 

Also, we filled some parts out while I was there, especially the part where we have to write his address in his native language (Tigrinya). He made a mistake and had to cross out what he wrote and then wrote the correct part next to it, is this okay? Or should I find some white out? I can't write in Tigrinya and it's not the most common language so needing a new paper could present a problem. 

Anyway, thanks in advance for all your advice, I'm very nervous taking all of this on since it seems very exacting and bit complicated.

Madeline 

Hi Madeline,

My fiancé is also in Ethiopia and we faced similar issues with there being no physical address and street names. We simply put the city and country for the address. If one of his addresses may be in a subdivision then we would add the subdivision name, city and country. Example: In Addis Ababa you have the Bole area so you would list: Bole under the street name, Addis Ababa for the City and of course, Ethiopia for the country.

I was nervous about the address portion but it worked out and we were just approved.

As for his address in Tigrinya, I would advise getting another sheet if you can. I had my fiancé type her address in Amharic and it was approved, didn't need to be hand written.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.