Matt_Stevens

Got my passport back from Vietnamese Embassy

35 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I agree:

I paid 3 million Dong (over $200) for a 5 hour studio shot in 20 different outfits. I went drinking the night before so I would have the patience to wait so long. What was interesting, is watching all the other women dress up, getting their hair done, change outfits, etc. (It's quite a production) It makes time go faster. I will say.....The photos are GREAT! It's actually the one thing (other than my actual lovely wife) that I brought back from Vietnam that the local Americans like. They've never seen such interesting wedding photos.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with everything that's been said here. My personal experience with all of these is that I spent approx. $11,000 including airfairs last Novemeber and still paying for many years to come. I think Matt's breakdown is reasonable. Believe me, her family will love you and respect you no matter how you plan your "Dam Hoi". Good luck and enjoy yourself while you're there.

2008-01-31 applied for SSA

2008-02-10 Received Notice fr SSA

2008-02-10 SSC issued with 10-BD

2008-02-14 Married; will get MC within 10 BD

2008-02-18 Recievd SSC

2008-02-27 Recieed Marriage Certificate

2008-03-03 485 Filed.

2008-03-08 File Received Chicago

2008-03-17 Rec'd 3 NOAs in the mail, but NOA dated 3/12/08

2008-04-04 Bio Appointment

2008-05-06 I765 in the mail

2008-05-06 I131 approved and in the mail

2008-08-26 Interview in CA 10/20/2008 Approved

2010-10-20 Remove Conditional--Gone Fishing 4 awhile now!!!!!!

2010-12-23 GC received--No More USCIS to deal with for now.

Filed: Timeline
$1500? Damn Matt, where are you getting your prices from? When I get home I'm going to get the contact info for our photographer. I don't think we paid more than $600 for this, and this includes a giant picture for our wall, one of the nicest photo albums I've ever seen, and 3 8 X 14 hard picture stands.

I also don't think you need to give up on your diamond. Remember you are going to Vietnam. If you have $4000, spend $2000 on the engagement party and $2000 on jewelry. Seems simple to me. You are giving me the idea that I should go to Vietnam and become a wedding planner for foreigners. Hmm. :idea:

Here is the place she has fallen in love with: www.quochuyphoto.com She went with her mother and they were completely won over by the place, which is not surprising, as they are highly professional. The package involves being driven to the beach for a series of photos. It's an all day event. Hence the price. :( I love the idea of outside photos. They would be wonderful and as my fiancee is bloody grogeous, well, they will look like model shots. But.... that price! :dead:

Remember, with the money I will have I need to not only pay for the photos and the Dam Hoi, but I need to pay for my hotel stay (we found a decent place for $25 a night), our food when we eat out, seeing places that tourists see, having a good time, etc. Anh will basically have $500 to put towards the "event" and photos, so say a grand total of $3600 is what we will have to send on EVERYTHING! Nit just the Dam Hoi and photos.

I wish I had more, but I just don't have it right now. :( And NO, I cannot charge it. I simply can't do that.

Matt

Edited by Matt_Stevens

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

This beach photo shoot MIGHT be the first of many expectations cast upon you by her immediate family and opinion leaders (aunts, uncles & family close friends). Good luck and enjoy the ride. Keep us posted.......

Filed: Timeline

Yeah, the beach pboto spread idea is a doosie, but it's all about Anh trying to give amazing photos to her mother. To her credit, she has said she can pay for a third of the cost. But still... Ouch!

She is talking to her parents this week and this weekend I will call Anh and let her know how much money I have for the Dam Hoi and photos and that I will not spend a penny more, PERIOD, because I won't be able to just pull it out of my @ss.

eBay has become my friend because that is how I am financing most of this. I kid you not. Made about $1500 in the last two weeks and will have another grand by the time I go for a total of around $3200 to $3400 for this trip.

Thanks God the flight is taken care of already.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.