Fraqe

Middle name vs Middle initial

8 posts in this topic

Hello so I used my passes my interview and have all other things done just oath ceremony is remaining. 

Before that I have a question that actually I made a minor mistake which the interviewer overlooked and never asked me during the interview and I am worried about that now. 

So tha the issue is that in my legal name just to match the GC instead of full middle name I wrote middle initial that is how it appears on my GC the interviewer never asked me any questions regarding that during interview. But the thing is my other documents like drivers License, Ssn has my full middle name 

can using middle initial instead of full middle name can cause me any future issues 

Passport and visa are the only things that truly need to match.  Green card's with shortened middle names are a non-issue.

Edited by givionte

DCF CR1 filing in Guangzhou, China:

Married - 2018-09-25

I-30 submitted at Guangzhou office - 2019-06-17
I-130 approved - 2019-06-18
DS-260 Confirmation Handed to CITIC to be Delivered - 2019-11-12-2019

DS-260 Approved, received email to schedule appointment - 2019-11-20-2019

Visa Interview in Guangzhou (Approved!) 😁 2019-12-16-2019

Immigration Visa Issued 2019-12-17-2019

Hi 

1 hour ago, givionte said:

Passport and visa are the only things that truly need to match.  Green card's with shortened middle names are a non-issue.

I am really worried that if

1. my naturalization certificate has middle initial instead of my middle name will that cause me issues in future 

2. If my naturalization certificate has middle initial does my passport also has to match the middle initial instead of middle name? 

I am am worried about this and eventually my oath ceremony is scheduled so that also an issue 

When you fill out the naturalization forms, there will be questions regarding your legal name, name displayed on your green card, and other names used.  At that time you will fill in that information, and the proper name will be used for your naturalization.  Any differences in the way your name is listed will be matched to the USCIS database, and middle name disregarded for your legal name via birth certificate or marriage certificate.  Middle names are by USCIS not regarded as part of your legal name.

Edited by givionte

DCF CR1 filing in Guangzhou, China:

Married - 2018-09-25

I-30 submitted at Guangzhou office - 2019-06-17
I-130 approved - 2019-06-18
DS-260 Confirmation Handed to CITIC to be Delivered - 2019-11-12-2019

DS-260 Approved, received email to schedule appointment - 2019-11-20-2019

Visa Interview in Guangzhou (Approved!) 😁 2019-12-16-2019

Immigration Visa Issued 2019-12-17-2019

Filed: Timeline
10 minutes ago, Fraqe said:

Hi 

I am really worried that if

1. my naturalization certificate has middle initial instead of my middle name will that cause me issues in future 

2. If my naturalization certificate has middle initial does my passport also has to match the middle initial instead of middle name? 

I am am worried about this and eventually my oath ceremony is scheduled so that also an issue 

There are two parts to this:

1. How serious is this problem?

Truth be told, I am not sure. I have had problems with my name being mangled in multiple ways in different official documents. I have ultimately gotten court orders before USCIS interviews to tell people I am the same person. Having said that, I have never been asked probed about this. 

2. How do you handle this?

So you have a few ways to fix this. 

- One possibility is that you can reschedule your oath ceremony, request that USCIS update their records and then go to an oath ceremony.

- Another possibility is that you may very well get a passport now with your shortened (or full) middle name and then use that to update all your documents to have the same formatting. E.g. go to the SSA office with the naturalization certificate (with shortened/full) and then update it to be the exact same thing. This is what a person who has done a name change through any system would do. 

- Another option is to go through the naturalization process, get a court order saying that both of these are your legal names, keep that around in case of any "future issues".

I am sure someone else will have better ideas. These are a few I can think of off the top of my head. 

1 hour ago, thedarkelf said:

There are two parts to this:

1. How serious is this problem?

Truth be told, I am not sure. I have had problems with my name being mangled in multiple ways in different official documents. I have ultimately gotten court orders before USCIS interviews to tell people I am the same person. Having said that, I have never been asked probed about this. 

2. How do you handle this?

So you have a few ways to fix this. 

- One possibility is that you can reschedule your oath ceremony, request that USCIS update their records and then go to an oath ceremony.

- Another possibility is that you may very well get a passport now with your shortened (or full) middle name and then use that to update all your documents to have the same formatting. E.g. go to the SSA office with the naturalization certificate (with shortened/full) and then update it to be the exact same thing. This is what a person who has done a name change through any system would do. 

- Another option is to go through the naturalization process, get a court order saying that both of these are your legal names, keep that around in case of any "future issues".

I am sure someone else will have better ideas. These are a few I can think of off the top of my head. 

I was thinking to go to USCIS office on oath day explain them this issue and see what they say because now I can’t return the oath letter as it is only 2days away. Also if I talk about this at oath ceremony will that create any issue? 

Like if i tell them the issue do they update their record if I have all the evidence to correct my middle name and then send me the oath letter? 

Filed: Timeline
1 minute ago, Fraqe said:

I was thinking to go to USCIS office on oath day explain them this issue and see what they say because now I can’t return the oath letter as it is only 2days away. Also if I talk about this at oath ceremony will that create any issue? 

Like if i tell them the issue do they update their record if I have all the evidence to correct my middle name and then send me the oath letter? 

I am not sure I understand what going to the "USCIS office on oath day" means. Is your oath ceremony at the USCIS office or do you mean that you want to go talk to whoever is in charge on the day of the oath ceremony regarding this? If latter, yeah, I think that is fine, especially if you only have two days to go before your oath. 

3 minutes ago, thedarkelf said:

I am not sure I understand what going to the "USCIS office on oath day" means. Is your oath ceremony at the USCIS office or do you mean that you want to go talk to whoever is in charge on the day of the oath ceremony regarding this? If latter, yeah, I think that is fine, especially if you only have two days to go before your oath. 

My oath ceremony is at US IS office and I am talking about going at office and talking with the person who is incharge I mean that did anyone else had ya experience that if the USCIS office on oath day can correct the error or update the records I mean is it possible or I have to go through a different process for this minor middle name correction? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.