Jump to content

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, 


My fiance has their visa interview for COLOMBIA, and we have a question about the past medical history. Over 10+ years ago, my fiance tried to commit suicide via pill ingestion, was taken to the hospital, and then had sessions with a psychiatrist once healthy to sign-off on not having a mental illness or needed further care. 


My Fiance never was committed, and was never put on medication. The psychiatrist apparently signed off on not being a threat or danger, or having any illness. For my fiance to find that medical history, they had to go specifically to the exact clinic/ hospital where they were admitted to request that information. The information does not specify the psychiatrist they went to.


Here is the question-without offering this information up, how is the doctor going to find out? From everything I've read, it sounds like it may be more trouble to admit this happened. Especially since there is NO history of medical illness, any medication for mental health, or any repeat/ ongoing self-harm. It was a one-off situation that my fiance learned from, and hasn't shaped or effected their life. 


So if hypothetically we were to say no, what would the actual consequence be? It seems the doctor would have to be suspicious of that EXACT answer to that exact question, then find out exactly which clinic, and find history from over 10 years ago. When asking, the office specified history from 3-5 years, so looks like recent history only.


Now, if we are to admit that history as we plan on, because we do not intend to do anything illegal, who would we go to? The psychiatrist my fiance went to was never named in the medical history, and they don't remember who it was. So how do we prepare when answering yes, so that during our interview it is clearly shown there is no threat or danger, and avoid the dreaded administrative processing? 


Any guidance would be appreciated.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...