SummerNights1

J1 Visa Medical Insurance BEFORE or AFTER Entry?

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm getting confused to when I need to purchase my health insurance.

My official visa interview is next week and I'm worried I'm meant to have proof of health insurance at that interview.

I know I need proof for my university that I have health insurance for the length of my visa stay but they said I have 30 days to enroll once I arrive in the country on my J1.

So do I need health insurance proof BEFORE or AFTER I enter the country?

If the answer is AFTER, how long do I have to enroll in a insurance package.

30 minutes ago, SummerNights1 said:

Hi,

I'm getting confused to when I need to purchase my health insurance.

My official visa interview is next week and I'm worried I'm meant to have proof of health insurance at that interview.

I know I need proof for my university that I have health insurance for the length of my visa stay but they said I have 30 days to enroll once I arrive in the country on my J1.

So do I need health insurance proof BEFORE or AFTER I enter the country?

If the answer is AFTER, how long do I have to enroll in a insurance package.

Does the university provide a group plan you can opt to purchase?  Or a list of local providers?  I would try to enroll online now for it to start when you land in the US, and bring confirmation of enrollment to your interview.  I doubt that you have to have it all paid for ahead of time, as if it is a US plan, it wouldn't cover you until you arrive anyway. 

So I'll be working there in a department and employees do have 3 options to choose from, HR said to enroll when I get there but I'm concerned for my interview.

Do you think it's okay for me to print the package I plan on buying and bring the PDF summary to the interview? - will it be enough?

13 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Does the university provide a group plan you can opt to purchase?  Or a list of local providers?  I would try to enroll online now for it to start when you land in the US, and bring confirmation of enrollment to your interview.  I doubt that you have to have it all paid for ahead of time, as if it is a US plan, it wouldn't cover you until you arrive anyway. 

So I'll be working there in a department and employees do have 3 options to choose from, HR said to enroll when I get there but I'm concerned for my interview.

Do you think it's okay for me to print the package I plan on buying and bring the PDF summary to the interview? - will it be enough?

1 minute ago, SummerNights1 said:

That would make sense to me, but what exactly does your checklist for the interview say?  When it comes to visa interviews,  you have to give them exactly what they want.

Another option perhaps would be to purchase traveller's insurance in your country to tide you over until your US policy takes effect.  

My husband and I did a different visa (K-1), but that is what he did until he was added to my employer-based policy.

Edited by Jorgedig

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.