alameda

Marriage certificate and SSN

6 posts in this topic

My fiancee will come to US next month. :jest:

Can I apply for the marriage certificate before apply for the Social Security Number? Does she need the SSN to apply the marriage certificate?

Thanks. :yes:

What State will you be living/married in? It varies from state to state...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

As the previous post said it will probably vary from State to State. I live in Louisiana. We arrived in the U.S. on May 28 and we applied for and got our marriage license on May 30. Took all of 15 minutes and all they wanted to see was my fiance's Passport with her U.S. Visa. No S.S. # needed. I called the Clerk of Court in my area and they gave me the info over the phone before I went for the license. Maybe the phone call would work for you.

Best of Luck

Chuck D

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I couldnt even get my husband on my bank account since he does not have a SSN yet. Immigration wants this proof to support the marriage but they make it so difficult to meet their demands.

You should shop around for different banks. Many don't require a social security number from the second person for a joint account (for example, if you have an ssn, you can apply for the account and just add your husband on it). We did this-- I applied for the account and added my husband-- they just noted his passport number.

October 2005: Met online playing World of Warcraft

December 19, 2005: David flies to America on VWP to visit

February 26, 2006: Married!

March 14, 2006: Filed I-130 ... by itself. Oops.

June 21, 2006: I-130 approved

March 12, 2007: Mailed I-485 package

April 5, 2007: Biometrics

May 30, 2007: Email notification: EAD approved!!

June 4, 2007: EAD received!!

July 24, 2007: Interview 8am APPROVED!!! Day 133 from filing. Emails for card production and welcome letter.

July 25, 2007: Passport stamped

August 6, 2007: GC in hand

.png

I couldnt even get my husband on my bank account since he does not have a SSN yet. Immigration wants this proof to support the marriage but they make it so difficult to meet their demands.

You should shop around for different banks. Many don't require a social security number from the second person for a joint account (for example, if you have an ssn, you can apply for the account and just add your husband on it). We did this-- I applied for the account and added my husband-- they just noted his passport number.

... and I managed to open a bank account myself without an SSN two days after I got here - with US Bank, they just got me to go in and show my passport and visa and opened up an account for me, and my debit card arrived in the mail a few days later. I also took along a copy of the lease for our apartment as soon as my name was on it (they just asked if I could bring in 'some kind of proof of address' when I could!), and once I got my SSN, I got them to update my details.

I think that was sheer luck, mind you, and that I might just have happened across a super-helpful bank employee, but being able to open a bank account so easily definitely impressed me - I was half expecting I'd have to wait weeks! I've since gone in to the same branch and opened a joint account for me & my husband (they just got me to take a photocopy of his drivers license), and I've applied for a (secured... sigh) credit card with them, too. All very easy! :)

Um, as for the OP's actual question... like Karin und Otto says, it varies from state to state (and maybe even from county to county?) - we applied for our marriage license online, and the webform did require an SSN... but I called them to ask what I should do, and they said 'oh, just enter zeros if you don't have a social security' - getting a marriage license without an SSN was also no problem whatsoever! So, Alameda... try Googling 'marriage license' and your state & county, and you should find the info you need, or at least a contact number of someone who can tell you the answer... :)

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.