15 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I know there’s a medical experience for Auckland but I had mine today and thought I’d just add what I went through. 

The Consulate sent me a “list” of medical centres and there was only CityMed in Auckland, and one other in Wellington on the list. So I went ahead on the citymed website and filled out the form online, they then called me back later that afternoon to arrange a date/time. 

My appointment was for 1.30pm and I arrived at the requested time of 1.20pm - Reception were lovely. I gave them all of my forms, photos, vaccination records, and passport - and she went out back to copy the vaccine records and passport while I filled in another form. She then sorted and stapled the passport photos to the forms and staples all forms together. 

(At each stage of the medical you hand over your forms and passport to be checked and signed.)

I was then then directed to the first little waiting area, only had to wait 5-10 minutes for a nurse who took my height, weight, and blood pressure. I was given two tubes and plastic bowl things for my urine test and left my belongings in the nurses room while heading to the bathroom. The nurse kept one tube of urine and handed me the second in a plastic ziplock bag to take to the lab. 

After the Nurse i waited about five minutes to be called in to see the doctor - she asked about my medical history and vaccination records, then checked my mouth, ears, and eyes. No “cover one eye and read the letters” thing though. She then checked my glands and I then had to remove only my shoes/pants and lie down while she poked around my abdomen and upper thigh/pelvis area, did a reflex test on knees, ankles, and bottoms of feet. No need to remove my T-shirt at all. 

The doctor then then instructed me to go back to reception to pay and then wait to get my flu shot from the nurse.

I only had to wait for one minute in the waiting room to be called in to get my flu shot and then after that was told to head to the blood and X-ray areas to complete my medical. 

At first i went to the xray but there was a bit of a wait so went to the lab to do blood and hand over my extra tube of urine I’d been carrying around with me. The wait there was around 10 minutes. 

The xray was about a 20-30 minute wait. I was instructed to take off my top/bra and necklace and put on a small gown top thing. The xray portion was over and done with very quickly- I had to hold my breath for 2-3 seconds and it was all finished. I did have to wait around 5-10 minutes for my xray cd afterwards. 

Once you’ve completed all the required steps, you take your forms back to reception and bid them farewell. You keep the xray CD and take it to the consulate yourself when you have your interview. 

Even though I have had chicken pox as a child, the doctor added to my lab form that my blood needed testing for immunity. 

The staff were all all super friendly and helpful at each stage of the medical. Made for a comfortable experience! The whole process took me exactly two hours. 

The costs for my appointment ended up being:

US Immigration Medical - $250

Flu Vaccine -$30

Xray - $90

VDRL test - $22

Varicella IGg test - $32

Urine test - $60

Total of $484

Now all that’s left is my interview! Eeek!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Thanks for the write up.  Been trying to book an appointment with the Wellington place since Friday but they aren't replying to the email.  Such a weird system, called them, they took some of my details, then gave me a gmail address to email to 'contact the doctor' and said he would reply with an appointment time.  Odd that the receptionist doesn't do all that.  Seriously considering just going up to Auckland for it if they take much longer.

Timeline
On 5/6/2019 at 8:10 PM, Zeebubs said:

Thanks for the write up.  Been trying to book an appointment with the Wellington place since Friday but they aren't replying to the email.  Such a weird system, called them, they took some of my details, then gave me a gmail address to email to 'contact the doctor' and said he would reply with an appointment time.  Odd that the receptionist doesn't do all that.  Seriously considering just going up to Auckland for it if they take much longer.

Strange, when the receptionist at CityMed called me to book the appointment she apologized "for the delay" and said they were a bit behind in scheduling immigration medicals - even though she called me the same day I sent the request. Hope you hear back soon! 

Timeline

@sherydenise Finally heard back yesterday, and have an appointment this afternoon!  The medical consultation alone is $580 down here though, plus another $20 for courier fees.  Oh, and they want it in cash!  Can pay for lab and x-rays with card thankfully.  Honestly if I had been able to grab some cheap flights to Auckland, it would have been cheaper to just fly up there and have it done ><  Oh well.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Zeebubs said:

@sherydenise Finally heard back yesterday, and have an appointment this afternoon!  The medical consultation alone is $580 down here though, plus another $20 for courier fees.  Oh, and they want it in cash!  Can pay for lab and x-rays with card thankfully.  Honestly if I had been able to grab some cheap flights to Auckland, it would have been cheaper to just fly up there and have it done ><  Oh well.

Oh yikes! So glad I decided on Auckland instead of Wellington after all! I live equal distance from both cities so didn't think it would make a difference which one I chose. Good luck for this afternoon :) When is your interview?

Timeline

@sherydenise  I've gone with Wellington for the appointment in the end.  No interview date yet, just sending my packet 3 back today, wanted to know when my medical was going to be first in case it took a week or so (as they implied he was fully booked!).  Sending that back today so I can get an interview date asap.

Unfortunately the x-ray place you have to go to here was all booked up for times after my appointment today, so I need to return tomorrow to complete that ><  Thankfully only a 20 minute train trip and a short walk, but still.

Timeline
29 minutes ago, Zeebubs said:

@sherydenise  I've gone with Wellington for the appointment in the end.  No interview date yet, just sending my packet 3 back today, wanted to know when my medical was going to be first in case it took a week or so (as they implied he was fully booked!).  Sending that back today so I can get an interview date asap.

Unfortunately the x-ray place you have to go to here was all booked up for times after my appointment today, so I need to return tomorrow to complete that ><  Thankfully only a 20 minute train trip and a short walk, but still.

CityMed is literally a couple of buildings away from the Consulate in Auckland, and everything is on the same floor - so I'm definitely glad I went with them! Good luck with the rest of your process :) My interview is next week, can't wait to be done with this whole process! 

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline
23 hours ago, Zeebubs said:

Hi Zeebubs,

How much it cost you to do all the required medicals in Wellington? I'm also expect to do it there but they won't tell me the price.

is that $580 includes the x-ray and lab?

Edited by vince88

Timeline
2 minutes ago, vince88 said:

Hi Zeebubs,

How much it cost you to doo all the required medicals in Wellington? I'm also expect to to it there but they won't tell me the price.

Hey

Examination is $580 plus a $20 courier fee (must be in cash), x-ray was $117, lab fees will vary, but expect no less than $100 I would think - you can pay for both of those with eftpos.  I haven't had any of the vaccinations I may need yet so no clue on the cost of those.

It's just a two room place, so you walk in and there's a sign saying knock on the internal door and take a seat.  No receptionist etc.  The doctor was very thorough and professional though.

Edited by Zeebubs

Timeline
1 minute ago, Zeebubs said:

Hey

Examination is $580 plus a $20 courier fee (must be in cash), x-ray was $117, lab fees will vary, but expect no less than $100 I would think - you can pay for both of those with eftpos.  I haven't had any of the vaccinations I may need yet so no clue on the cost of those.

It's just a two room place, so you walk in and there's a sign saying knock on the internal door and take a seat.  No receptionist etc.  The doctor was very thorough and professional though.

Yikes, that's ridiculously  expensive just for the exam. It can cost around $850 in total then?

I think it's better to do it in Auckland.

Timeline
Just now, vince88 said:

Yikes, that's ridiculously  expensive just for the exam. It can cost around $850 in total then?

I think it's better to do it in Auckland.

Yeah if you can get cheap flights to Auckland, it's definitely better to go there in terms of cost in my humble opinion.  Plus all the facilities are in the same building I gather.  In Wellington you need to walk up Lambton Quay a bit further to do the blood tests.

Timeline

Yeah, I think it will be a lot cheaper to just drive up to Auckland because I need to do the medicals with all my family. It just surprise me with the cost though because last time it cost us about $500 for NZ immigration medicals including all the lab and x-ray 🙄

Edited by vince88

Timeline
1 minute ago, vince88 said:

Yeah, I think it will be a lot cheaper to just drive up to Auckland because I need to do the medicals with all my family. It just surprise me with the cost though because last time it cost us about $500 for NZ immigration medicals including all the lab and x-ray 🙄

Oh yeah if you are doing your whole family then it's definitely cheaper to just drive up to Auckland and have it done!

On 5/3/2019 at 6:38 PM, sherydenise said:

I know there’s a medical experience for Auckland but I had mine today and thought I’d just add what I went through. 

The Consulate sent me a “list” of medical centres and there was only CityMed in Auckland, and one other in Wellington on the list. So I went ahead on the citymed website and filled out the form online, they then called me back later that afternoon to arrange a date/time. 

My appointment was for 1.30pm and I arrived at the requested time of 1.20pm - Reception were lovely. I gave them all of my forms, photos, vaccination records, and passport - and she went out back to copy the vaccine records and passport while I filled in another form. She then sorted and stapled the passport photos to the forms and staples all forms together. 

(At each stage of the medical you hand over your forms and passport to be checked and signed.)

I was then then directed to the first little waiting area, only had to wait 5-10 minutes for a nurse who took my height, weight, and blood pressure. I was given two tubes and plastic bowl things for my urine test and left my belongings in the nurses room while heading to the bathroom. The nurse kept one tube of urine and handed me the second in a plastic ziplock bag to take to the lab. 

After the Nurse i waited about five minutes to be called in to see the doctor - she asked about my medical history and vaccination records, then checked my mouth, ears, and eyes. No “cover one eye and read the letters” thing though. She then checked my glands and I then had to remove only my shoes/pants and lie down while she poked around my abdomen and upper thigh/pelvis area, did a reflex test on knees, ankles, and bottoms of feet. No need to remove my T-shirt at all. 

The doctor then then instructed me to go back to reception to pay and then wait to get my flu shot from the nurse.

I only had to wait for one minute in the waiting room to be called in to get my flu shot and then after that was told to head to the blood and X-ray areas to complete my medical. 

At first i went to the xray but there was a bit of a wait so went to the lab to do blood and hand over my extra tube of urine I’d been carrying around with me. The wait there was around 10 minutes. 

The xray was about a 20-30 minute wait. I was instructed to take off my top/bra and necklace and put on a small gown top thing. The xray portion was over and done with very quickly- I had to hold my breath for 2-3 seconds and it was all finished. I did have to wait around 5-10 minutes for my xray cd afterwards. 

Once you’ve completed all the required steps, you take your forms back to reception and bid them farewell. You keep the xray CD and take it to the consulate yourself when you have your interview. 

Even though I have had chicken pox as a child, the doctor added to my lab form that my blood needed testing for immunity. 

The staff were all all super friendly and helpful at each stage of the medical. Made for a comfortable experience! The whole process took me exactly two hours. 

The costs for my appointment ended up being:

US Immigration Medical - $250

Flu Vaccine -$30

Xray - $90

VDRL test - $22

Varicella IGg test - $32

Urine test - $60

Total of $484

Now all that’s left is my interview! Eeek!!

Hi there...did you have a record of your vaccinations?

Timeline
12 hours ago, DETROITKIWI said:

Hi there...did you have a record of your vaccinations?

Yep I had my plunket book, also got the nurse to print out my vaccination record when I got my tetanus booster a couple months ago, and also had my yellow travel vaccination booklet thing too :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.