Ozarka

15 months AP - Tourist Visa

6 posts in this topic

I & my mother had applied for visitor visa back in Feb 2018.I am 42 yrs and mother is 63. Mother was asked one question (why you want to go to US-she replied 'to meet my son' and after verification of her identity, visa was approved right away and was received after 3 days. I was told, they will send an email requesting some more information, they emailed same evening and we provided required info. 

Its been 15 months in AP. I emailed embassy 2 times after every 6 months and received generic response that it is in AP and they will contact as soon as AP is completed. I own a construction company and was going to accompany my mother from and to US for her safe return (old age issues) and same was mentioned during interview and yes my mother has not traveled to US yet. I am not bothered by this delay except wondering what could be causing this AP and what if i need my passport for other travels. When i went to interview, i was expecting straight denial but to my surprise, interview went smooth and interviewer was nice to us contradicting with what i had heard. 

I have traveled to Germany, Dubai, China & Hong Kong in past. No immigration petition is filed for me. 

Any idea what could be causing this long AP ?  it seems like after interview they forgot about me 😜

Thank you,

Edited by Ozarka

You can request for your passport back while they adjudicate your case, and return it to the embassy for a visa issuance if there is a positive outcome.

63 is not particularly old and many people much older than this fly on their own. You can request airline assistance if you are worried about mobility issues etc.

The US embassy has held on to your passport for 15 months? 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

40 minutes ago, Ozarka said:

Yes it is with them since interview. I never asked them and they never offered me.

No, they won’t “offer” it to you at some unspecified time during the process. Bear in mind most of AP is outside the embassy”s purview and they don’t have much idea either at any stage how much longer it will take.

if they ask if you want it back in the interim, they will do that at the interview. If they don’t, and you need it, it’s your passport, you can request it back from them at any time. Your case will remain processing and they will let you know if and when they need it back for visa issuance.

12 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

No, they won’t “offer” it to you at some unspecified time during the process. Bear in mind most of AP is outside the embassy”s purview and they don’t have much idea either at any stage how much longer it will take.

if they ask if you want it back in the interim, they will do that at the interview. If they don’t, and you need it, it’s your passport, you can request it back from them at any time. Your case will remain processing and they will let you know if and when they need it back for visa issuance.

Thank you SusieQQQ for insight. I am planning to email them after a month, I will ask for passport too at then. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.