Joshua Kaufman

Change of address necessary after I-129F Approved?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I filed a I-129F from my parent's address in Pennsylvania because at the time I was still living in Europe and didn't know where I would end up. Since then, I've accepted a job in San Francisco, CA where I now live and work.

After posting to this thread I thought I should change my address immediately, but since I've posted to that thread my mother has confirmed that I've received both the NOA2 and receipt of approval from the NVC at the Pennsylvania address. The case has now been forwarded to the U.S consulate in Frankfurt. Just to make sure, I checked the status of my petition at USCIS and it has indeed been approved.

But after looking closer at the USCIS change of address site I found the following:

U.S. Citizens who do not have an application or petition pending with USCIS are only legally required to notify USCIS of a change of address if they have previously submitted a Form I-864 on behalf of someone who has become a permanent resident. If you have previously submitted a Form I-864 for someone who immigrated to the U.S., you must complete a Form I-865 within ten days of the completion of your move.

And that was it. On that page they don't even recommend that you change your address. So if my petition has been approved and sent off to Germany, is there any point in changing my address? If my fiance puts my new address on the consulate forms, will they care? Would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks everyone :)

Edited by Joshua Kaufman

Filed: Timeline
I filed a I-129F from my parent's address in Pennsylvania because at the time I was still living in Europe and didn't know where I would end up. Since then, I've accepted a job in San Francisco, CA where I now live and work.

After posting to this thread I thought I should change my address immediately, but since I've posted to that thread my mother has confirmed that I've received both the NOA2 and receipt of approval from the NVC at the Pennsylvania address. The case has now been forwarded to the U.S consulate in Frankfurt. Just to make sure, I checked the status of my petition at USCIS and it has indeed been approved.

But after looking closer at the USCIS change of address site I found the following:

U.S. Citizens who do not have an application or petition pending with USCIS are only legally required to notify USCIS of a change of address if they have previously submitted a Form I-864 on behalf of someone who has become a permanent resident. If you have previously submitted a Form I-864 for someone who immigrated to the U.S., you must complete a Form I-865 within ten days of the completion of your move.

And that was it. On that page they don't even recommend that you change your address. So if my petition has been approved and sent off to Germany, is there any point in changing my address? If my fiance puts my new address on the consulate forms, will they care? Would love to hear your thoughts!

You should be fine. Are you able to receive any mail frOm your current address though (in case you need it)?

Timeline

Thanks Devilette. By "receive mail from my current address" do you mean can I get mail at my apartment in San Francisco? Yes, I can.

But one thing that just occurred to me: in her instruction packet (aka packet 3) she's asked the address where she'll reside when in the States. I'm currently subletting and planned to get a larger place when she does arrive. So she couldn't even use this address if she wanted to. I guess she'll just have to use my parent's Pennsylvania address after all (which may be for the better)? Hmm.

Thanks Devilette. By "receive mail from my current address" do you mean can I get mail at my apartment in San Francisco? Yes, I can.

But one thing that just occurred to me: in her instruction packet (aka packet 3) she's asked the address where she'll reside when in the States. I'm currently subletting and planned to get a larger place when she does arrive. So she couldn't even use this address if she wanted to. I guess she'll just have to use my parent's Pennsylvania address after all (which may be for the better)? Hmm.

I meant your last addy actually, not SF, on the off chance something gets delivered there. but no biggie.

It doesn't matter much, use your current SF one since that's where she's heading first. You can put a more permanent one when you file AOS.

Timeline
It doesn't matter much, use your current SF one since that's where she's heading first. You can put a more permanent one when you file AOS.

I don't think I can use my current SF one. I'm going to have a new address before she arrives here. Sooo, wouldn't using that address be lying? :unsure: Then again, using my parent's address in PA would be lying too! Uhhh, am I screwed or what here?

I don't think I can use my current SF one. I'm going to have a new address before she arrives here. Sooo, wouldn't using that address be lying? :unsure: Then again, using my parent's address in PA would be lying too! Uhhh, am I screwed or what here?

She should use your current address. There are opportunities at each step of the way to change it should you move. When my fiancé was transferred to another State I changed my address at the interview. When we bought a house after living in temporary housing I changed it again. It's not something to fret over.

As to your other question, if you read the wording carefully, it does not say "application approved" it says "application pending". You have an application pending because you have yet to receive the visa. So, yes, you need to change your address.

iagree.gif

Timeline
As to your other question, if you read the wording carefully, it does not say "application approved" it says "application pending". You have an application pending because you have yet to receive the visa. So, yes, you need to change your address.

No, it doesn't say "application approved" it says "approval notice sent" which is practically the same thing right? From the way they make it sound, the application or petition refers to the I-129F, which has been approved.

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Hallo,

also ich schreibe mal kurz in deutsch. Wenn du dann hier bist, würde ich auf jeden Fall eine Adressänderung beantragen, da die Unterlagen ja dann von Vermont zu den AOS Sachen geschickt werden. An besten immer alles angeben, damit es zu keinem RFE kommt. Viel Glück.

v34h.jpg

LhJUm4.png

pf2Rm4.png

7gOjm4.png?2CQ9jiXQ

Met on October 18, 1996 in a bar called "Calypso" in Richmond, Virginia, during my Au-Pair year

View complete Timeline:

Quick Facts:
02/23/2006 - sent I 129 to VSC (first step done!) 07/13/2006 - received Visa!
09/22/2006 - civil marriage in New York City
10/05/2006 - sent AOS papers to VSC
12/11/2006 - Welcome Letter and GREEN CARD in Mail!!!!!! Lets' party!!!!!
09/24/2008 - sent Removal of conditions package to VSC
07/02/2009 - received 10 year Green Card! YEAH!!!!! Finally!
2014 - Citizenship

Timeline
Hallo,

also ich schreibe mal kurz in deutsch. Wenn du dann hier bist, würde ich auf jeden Fall eine Adressänderung beantragen, da die Unterlagen ja dann von Vermont zu den AOS Sachen geschickt werden. An besten immer alles angeben, damit es zu keinem RFE kommt. Viel Glück.

Yikes. Ich spreche nicht Deutsches! And I needed Babelfish just for that :blush:

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
Hallo,

Yikes. Ich spreche nicht Deutsches! And I needed Babelfish just for that :blush:

Sorry, i just saw the German flag that's why. I would definitely change the address when you apply for the AOS papers. The mix them together and your current file from Vermont will not match your address and you furthermore do not want to risk a RFE either. Good luck and 'Hallo' to your German girl.

v34h.jpg

LhJUm4.png

pf2Rm4.png

7gOjm4.png?2CQ9jiXQ

Met on October 18, 1996 in a bar called "Calypso" in Richmond, Virginia, during my Au-Pair year

View complete Timeline:

Quick Facts:
02/23/2006 - sent I 129 to VSC (first step done!) 07/13/2006 - received Visa!
09/22/2006 - civil marriage in New York City
10/05/2006 - sent AOS papers to VSC
12/11/2006 - Welcome Letter and GREEN CARD in Mail!!!!!! Lets' party!!!!!
09/24/2008 - sent Removal of conditions package to VSC
07/02/2009 - received 10 year Green Card! YEAH!!!!! Finally!
2014 - Citizenship

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.