Olivia Hsiao

K1 Co-sponsor - Supporting Documents for I-134

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Hi all

Thanks for all the information and discussion on the forum. My 129F has recently been approved and will soon be a visa interview in the Consulate in my country (American Institute in Taipei).

Since my fiancé will be a student in the States, we ask a friend of my fiancé’s mother to be a co-sponsor.

However, the package I received from the co-sponsor is only a bank statement and an employee certificate issued by her company (no tax return). The cash balance on the bank statement is far more than 5x of 125% property line in 2019.

I think the bank statement itself is enough for the supporting document for I-134, right? What question toward the bank statement may the officer in the Consulate have?

Any comment would be very helpful for me. Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't have experience with the consulate in Taipei, but it depends on the consulate. When I did my interview at the consulate in my country, they were ONLY interested in the tax document. I had brought two co-sponsors, and when they saw the first one had not submitted tax documents, they handed it back to me and did not use it.

If you don't have this and can't get this, the questions the consulate will have will likely be about why you weren't able to provide this, and it may have to go through AP to determine if the evidence you provide is factual. It's a lot harder to fake numbers on a tax return than it is to fake numbers on a printed bank statement.

If you can get a simplified tax return from the co-sponsor, you'd be in a much better position, but again it depends on Taipei's consulate and whether or not they're lenient with these.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.