MakiW1986

Question about command sponsorship

10 posts in this topic

Do I need a green card to get a command sponsorship?

So here is the situation,I got married last October and applied for Green card in Nov and still waiting for the interview to be scheduled.

My husband is in military and we applied for command sponsorship and now they are saying I cannot apply cos I don't have valid visa (my Visa I came in with is Fiance Visa which is only valid for 90 days)They are saying either I need to get US passport or a green card.We provided put married certificate and documents to prove I'm applying for green card.I don't know what to do and very confused as I know people who got command sponsorship without a green card 

8 minutes ago, MakiW1986 said:

So here is the situation,I got married last October and applied for Green card in Nov and still waiting for the interview to be scheduled.

My husband is in military and we applied for command sponsorship and now they are saying I cannot apply cos I don't have valid visa (my Visa I came in with is Fiance Visa which is only valid for 90 days)They are saying either I need to get US passport or a green card.We provided put married certificate and documents to prove I'm applying for green card.I don't know what to do and very confused as I know people who got command sponsorship without a green card 

@Roel?

Just now, MakiW1986 said:

Is there something I'm missing?

I was tagging her, as she is informed about military/immigration issues.

3 hours ago, MakiW1986 said:

What do you need the command sponsorship for? 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Anyway this might be somehow helpful 

I assume you already went to the legal centre on your post? That would be the first step. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

1 hour ago, Roel said:

Anyway this might be somehow helpful 

I assume you already went to the legal centre on your post? That would be the first step. 

No I haven't been to any legal on post yet,I didn't think they'd be able to help as what the army is asking is proof of my stay in  America as it seems for them I don't hold any valid visa and therefore they cannot give me a command sponsorship.

10 minutes ago, MakiW1986 said:

No I haven't been to any legal on post yet,I didn't think they'd be able to help as what the army is asking is proof of my stay in  America as it seems for them I don't hold any valid visa and therefore they cannot give me a command sponsorship.

Go to legal. They have seen foreign spouses before, you're not the first one. 😛 they might be able to help. 

Also dont really understand why you need command sponsorship to be on lease or other documents... We never done that at all, my husband just updated his status to married and enrolled me in deers. That's it. I was on lease and ALL paperwork even when my Visa expired and we waited with AOS for almost a year, so I didnt have "legal" status at all. It was never an issue. 

You should only need command sponsorship for overseas deployments.. you're not going anywhere yet so I wouldn't worry especially since by then you might have a green card. 

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.