Alekezam

Experience With Ombudsman (Opinion)

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Just an FYI.

I put in a request back in July of 2018 to inquire about the unusually long wait time for my now wife's K1 Fiance Visa Process and am now just getting an update from them,  8 months later!

And get this, they still haven't done anything. Their message basically explains how they are currently backlogged, yada yada.....

My wife got her approval in October 2018 and has been here in the U.S. since November 2018. So basically, she has been approved from a K1 perspective for 5 months and they can't even figure that out?! How many inquiries do they have that are essentially already resolved that they haven't gotten to yet?! That just goes to show how inefficient the system is. How hard is it for them to filter out cases that are already approved by cross referencing them with inquiries? If they did that I bet they would eliminate a huge chunk of backlog.

If you ask me, writing them is pretty much a waste of time. By the time they get you an answer you'll probably already have one. 

On another note, I wrote my Congressman multiple times and got zero response as well. 

Your best bet is to either wait it out or contact USCIS directly because they ultimately hold the power. 

Here's what the message from Ombudsman says verbatim:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your patience as the Ombudsman’s Office continues our efforts to review and take action on your case assistance request for xxxxxx. The office reviews all incoming requests for case assistance within 7 business days.  While our goal is to take action to resolve 75 percent of case-related inquiries submitted to the office within 45 days of receipt, we are currently experiencing a backlog of requests for assistance, and it may take us 90 to 120 days to make an inquiry about your case to USCIS. USCIS then has 15 business days to respond to the Ombudsman’s Office’s inquiry. We apologize for any delays in our process that you may have experienced.  Please be assured that we endeavor to review each request as efficiently and timely as possible.  Once one of our analysts completes his/her assessment of your inquiry, you will be contacted with an update. 

If you believe your case requires expedited handling, we ask that you first submit your request to USCIS.  USCIS’s criteria can be found at http://www.uscis.gov/forms/expedite-criteria.  If you do not receive a timely response to your request to USCIS and you believe that you meet USCIS’s expedite criteria, please let us know via email at cisombudsman@hq.dhs.gov Please provide in your email your Ombudsman case assistance submission number, a description of why you are requesting expedited processing, and any documentation you submitted to USCIS in support of your request for expedited adjudication.

Sincerely,

Office of the Citizenship and Immigration Services Ombudsman

U.S. Department of Homeland Security DB1KM2TD3NC4\

Washington, DC 20528-0180

Toll-Free: 1-855-882-8100

Phone: 202-357-8100

Email: cisombudsman@hq.dhs.gov 

Web: www.dhs.gov/cisombudsman

Edited by Alekezam
Delete sensitive information

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Process & Procedures to Progress Reports.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.