IzandAl

Medical Questions - Vaccination Batch Numbers & Medical Records

11 posts in this topic

I am a UK national that has been living in Canada for the last 5 years and have a couple of questions about the medical process. (I will be completing my medical and interview in London)

1. When I called to schedule my medical the other day, I asked the person on the phone about the vaccines. She said I didn't necessarily need to have them before the medical and could have them after. When I asked whether it would be okay if I had them in Canada she said yes, as long as I had proof of which ones, dates and batch numbers. When I have looked at my Patient summary from my UK doctor the dates and vaccinations are listed but not the batch numbers. Has anyone else attended an interview without the vaccination batch numbers and been okay? If not, how do I go about getting these if they're not on my patient summary?

2. I have lived in Canada for 5 years but have never registered with a GP here (there is a shortage of family doctors in Quebec and registering is notoriously hard). I have either seen doctors here at walk-in clinics or seen my GP in the UK when I have been there for non-medical emergencies. As I don't have a GP here I don't have any medical records. Is that going to be a problem at the medical? Any advice?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, IzandAl said:

She said I didn't necessarily need to have them before the medical and could have them after.

And what she doesn't know is it could cost you hundreds of dollars getting a civil surgeon to sign off on a new form and insisting on giving you a new medical in the US just to add shots that don't get recorded at Knightsbridge.  Get signed off at the visa medical and you should be done medically for your AOS.

I would say if your immunization comes from a U.K. GP print out, it will be fine. Mine were handwritten by the nurse with only shots and dates. They also say if your Mum has the little red book you can use that. It's probably not so sophisticated as having batch numbers. 

Do you know which shots are reqired of adults?

That's good to know, thank you. Definitely going to try to get them done pre-interview.

I asked her and she just directed me to the website but I find the table really confusing. From what I can understand I think it's Tdap, MMR, Varicella (although I've seen on other threads that's not necessary/offered in the UK) and the flu jab. I believe that I have both Tdap and MMR already so would just need the flu jab although I think it's only £14 to have it done at the medical if needed.

Timeline
8 hours ago, IzandAl said:

That's good to know, thank you. Definitely going to try to get them done pre-interview.

I asked her and she just directed me to the website but I find the table really confusing. From what I can understand I think it's Tdap, MMR, Varicella (although I've seen on other threads that's not necessary/offered in the UK) and the flu jab. I believe that I have both Tdap and MMR already so would just need the flu jab although I think it's only £14 to have it done at the medical if needed.

Here are the shots needed for 19 through 59 years of age:

• Td or Tdap - Tetanus/diptheria/pertussis or get DT, DTP or DtaP and it will be accepted. The latest shot must be no longer than 10 years ago or you need a booster. If you have a record of receiving pertussis, then the Td is okay for the booster.
  • MMR - (if born in 1957 or later)-Mumps/measles/rubella.  It's two doses in your life, but if you get the first dose, and 4 weeks haven't passed by your medical, they will waive the second dose for "insufficient time interval". If you only had one dose as a child, get a second one before the medical.
  • Varicella - Not routinely given in the UK . A history of having chickenpox excuses you from the shot. They take your word for it at the visa medical exam. They will also waive the shot in the UK for "not routinely available". That works for spouse visas but not fiancés who could get the shot after POE and go to a civil surgeon to sign off. 
  • Influenza - Required during flu season only, October 1 through March 31.  If your medical is not during flu season, you don't need it. 

The prices listed at Knightsbridge currently are

Tetanus and diphtheria and polio £40

Measles, mumps and rubella £50

Influenza (required only if medical between October -March) £14

I think you can get some of those free on NHS, personally ill just *cough up* the £90 and get it done at Knightsbridge. If i wait to do this in US im sure it'll cost more,  may as well just have 1 morning of hassle and be covered.

Timeline
2 hours ago, skjourney said:

Tetanus and diphtheria and polio £40

Adults do not get a polio shot.

Tdap stands for Tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
20 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Adults do not get a polio shot.

Tdap stands for Tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis

The nurse who did mine at my GP told me pertussis is for pregnant women or infants... she administered tetanus, diphtheria and polio for me. 

46 minutes ago, VanillaCats said:

The nurse who did mine at my GP told me pertussis is for pregnant women or infants... she administered tetanus, diphtheria and polio for me. 

actually doing a bit of reading up on it, it seems that your GP is correct, its usually only given to pregnant women in the UK. However, in the US it is administered to adults, and is a requirement for AOS. Therefore, you *may* be short of the pertussis vaccine for your AOS unless youve had a pertussis vaccine recorded in the past. Someone may be able to clarify.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
2 minutes ago, skjourney said:

actually doing a bit of reading up on it, it seems that your GP is correct, its usually only given to pregnant women in the UK. However, in the US it is administered to adults, and is a requirement for AOS. Therefore, you *may* be short of the pertussis vaccine for your AOS unless youve had a pertussis vaccine recorded in the past. Someone may be able to clarify.

I had it multiple times as a baby and it’s recorded in my foreign documents *shrugs* idk. Everything has just been a headache for me 🙃 all these inconsistencies.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.