Jump to content
piyush31

N400 - When do we get a US passport?

10 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Does anyone know if the oath ceremony happens on the same day of the interview at Newark, NJ office? My interview is in three weeks. 

 

Also, what is the process of getting a US passport? Will they give it to us on the day of the oath ceremony or do we have to file for it after we get the certificate of naturalization? 


- Removal of Conditions Timeline -

7/31/17 - Mailed I-751 package to Vermont Service Center

8/2/17 - Package received by VSC

8/3/17 - NOA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, piyush31 said:

Does anyone know if the oath ceremony happens on the same day of the interview at Newark, NJ office? My interview is in three weeks. 

 

Also, what is the process of getting a US passport? Will they give it to us on the day of the oath ceremony or do we have to file for it after we get the certificate of naturalization? 

You have to apply for a passport separately. What you can do is get a passport application form (I think you can get it at the post office), fill it (but don't sign anywhere), carry 2 passport size photographs with you when you go for the oath. If the passport application folks are there, they will accept your application. It happens at many places during the oath. If you have the filled form, you can get it done faster. Otherwise, you can apply for a passport at any nearest post office. Takes about 2-4 weeks to get one.

Edited by love_my_wife

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, piyush31 said:

Does anyone know if the oath ceremony happens on the same day of the interview at Newark, NJ office? My interview is in three weeks. 

Newark is one location where Oath has been facilitated on the same day as interview. So you might want to be prepared for it.

 

Passport processing is not necessarily available in that location. If you fill up your DS-11 form and take the photos, and copies of DL that should be sufficient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2019 at 11:03 AM, exception1981 said:

Newark is one location where Oath has been facilitated on the same day as interview. So you might want to be prepared for it.

 

Passport processing is not necessarily available in that location. If you fill up your DS-11 form and take the photos, and copies of DL that should be sufficient.

Thanks. 

 

I have another question: can we postpone the oath ceremony? I have heard that they either cancel or take away the green card on that day. 

 

I am traveling out of country in April for two weeks and I will have to cancel that trip if I have to wait for US passport and then apply for visit visa. 


- Removal of Conditions Timeline -

7/31/17 - Mailed I-751 package to Vermont Service Center

8/2/17 - Package received by VSC

8/3/17 - NOA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, piyush31 said:

Thanks. 

 

I have another question: can we postpone the oath ceremony? I have heard that they either cancel or take away the green card on that day. 

 

I am traveling out of country in April for two weeks and I will have to cancel that trip if I have to wait for US passport and then apply for visit visa. 

Yes you can but I would strangly suggest not to. They are many instances where people cancelled there Oath and have not be rescheduled even after months.

 

After the Oath go to the Dept of State Office and Apply for an Emergency Passport. They can issue the passport faster if they accept your reason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, exception1981 said:

Yes you can but I would strangly suggest not to. They are many instances where people cancelled there Oath and have not be rescheduled even after months.

 

After the Oath go to the Dept of State Office and Apply for an Emergency Passport. They can issue the passport faster if they accept your reason

okay thanks for the advice. I will go for the oath and try to file for the passport with expedite service. 

 

Do I also need to talk any additional documents for the duration since I filed for my N-400? I filed in August 2018, so take from Sept 2018 till March 2019. If yes then what documents? 

 

Vacation, photos, bank account statements? 


- Removal of Conditions Timeline -

7/31/17 - Mailed I-751 package to Vermont Service Center

8/2/17 - Package received by VSC

8/3/17 - NOA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, piyush31 said:

okay thanks for the advice. I will go for the oath and try to file for the passport with expedite service. 

 

Do I also need to talk any additional documents for the duration since I filed for my N-400? I filed in August 2018, so take from Sept 2018 till March 2019. If yes then what documents? 

 

Vacation, photos, bank account statements? 

For Oath you need only your Green Card and the Oath letter.

For Interview, you need DL, Passport and interview letter. Other documents would be Tax, marriage, Police Tickets etc. The ones you listed are not required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, exception1981 said:

For Oath you need only your Green Card and the Oath letter.

For Interview, you need DL, Passport and interview letter. Other documents would be Tax, marriage, Police Tickets etc. The ones you listed are not required.

sorry yes for my interview. 


- Removal of Conditions Timeline -

7/31/17 - Mailed I-751 package to Vermont Service Center

8/2/17 - Package received by VSC

8/3/17 - NOA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2019 at 3:03 PM, exception1981 said:

For Oath you need only your Green Card and the Oath letter.

For Interview, you need DL, Passport and interview letter. Other documents would be Tax, marriage, Police Tickets etc. The ones you listed are not required.

hey: regarding taxes, I have printed the transcripts copy directly from IRS website for 2015-2018. Will there be any issue if its not an original printed copy mailed by IRS? 


- Removal of Conditions Timeline -

7/31/17 - Mailed I-751 package to Vermont Service Center

8/2/17 - Package received by VSC

8/3/17 - NOA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, piyush31 said:

hey: regarding taxes, I have printed the transcripts copy directly from IRS website for 2015-2018. Will there be any issue if its not an original printed copy mailed by IRS? 

I uploaded and took the copy of 1040 from Tax filling software. You should be good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×