Peter & Kim

Moving personal belongings between Swe and CA

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I can't remember the various forms but there are a few daunting customs declarations and insurance, marine insurance forms etc. Quite a few items are prohibited so I'd start with that & deciding what you'll bring before getting quotes. I got quotes from 3 companies & went with the one that had the most experience so I didn't have to be overly concerned with dealing with customs. Are you doing it by sea or air?

3 hours ago, Peter & Kim said:

Hi,

I think its going to be by air, no furniture or anything like that. Just smaller stuff, tools, books etc etc.

Thanks for your answer, I´ll look in to it.

BR

Peter

I researched and worked out that for me, it was cheaper to just replace everything than it would be to ship it from Australia - obviously with the exception of sentimental items.    I'd recommend looking at that as an option, too.   I saved close to $900 on the shipping quote by spending $300 on repurchasing a bunch of books and such. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
4 hours ago, Peter & Kim said:

Hi,

I think its going to be by air, no furniture or anything like that. Just smaller stuff, tools, books etc etc.

Thanks for your answer, I´ll look in to it.

BR

Peter

It may be an option to pay for a few extra suitcases or boxes on the plane if you're not taking much. Unless you're really attached to your things it will be a lot cheaper and less hassle to get rid of what you can. 

As a rough guide for what to expect - we shipped about half our belongings from a 3 bedroom semi-detached house with a shared shipping container and it cost five thousand in total. If it was just me I wouldn't have bothered but I have children. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.