chinitayukii

AOS Interview (Notice of Interview Results)

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Good day everyone! I had my AOS(2 yrs greencard) interview last week Feb.19,2019 in Houston Texas. I am a transgender came here through K1 visa and I legally changed my name and gender marker last year. My interview lasted for 30 mins. The officer asked us a few questions about our relationship and me and my husband both answered good, we gave the officer all of the papers, documents and proof of our marriage that she needed. And she told me that she’s not sure if she can change my Gender, she went out of the room and when she came back she asked me this weird questions:

Officer: so are you a fully woman now?

Is everything in your body woman now?

Me: What do you mean Ma’am? you mean if I had a surgery before?

Officer: Yes!

Me: No ma’am! But I gave you my court order that I legally changed my name and gender and also here’s my doctor’s letter.(I felt uncomfortable and embarrassed with the way she asked me that question)

Officer: I don’t think I can change your gender here cos I’m not sure but Immigration rules is different than the State law. I need to consult my supervisor about this and I will give you a call.

Then she had me a paper “Notice of Interview Results”

Reason for Continuance:

Your case is being held for review. At this time USCIS does not require any information or documents from you blah blah....I need to wait until 120 days before I can make an inquiry about my case.

It’s been a week and I haven’t got any call from her nor a letter from the USCIS. I even don’t know if we got approved or no. It’s stressing me out. I’m currently working and my EAD extension will expire first week of May, I don’t know when I will get an update from them. Is this normal?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
15 hours ago, chinitayukii said:

Good day everyone! I had my AOS(2 yrs greencard) interview last week Feb.19,2019 in Houston Texas. I am a transgender came here through K1 visa and I legally changed my name and gender marker last year. My interview lasted for 30 mins. The officer asked us a few questions about our relationship and me and my husband both answered good, we gave the officer all of the papers, documents and proof of our marriage that she needed. And she told me that she’s not sure if she can change my Gender, she went out of the room and when she came back she asked me this weird questions:

Officer: so are you a fully woman now?

Is everything in your body woman now?

Me: What do you mean Ma’am? you mean if I had a surgery before?

Officer: Yes!

Me: No ma’am! But I gave you my court order that I legally changed my name and gender and also here’s my doctor’s letter.(I felt uncomfortable and embarrassed with the way she asked me that question)

Officer: I don’t think I can change your gender here cos I’m not sure but Immigration rules is different than the State law. I need to consult my supervisor about this and I will give you a call.

Then she had me a paper “Notice of Interview Results”

Reason for Continuance:

Your case is being held for review. At this time USCIS does not require any information or documents from you blah blah....I need to wait until 120 days before I can make an inquiry about my case.

It’s been a week and I haven’t got any call from her nor a letter from the USCIS. I even don’t know if we got approved or no. It’s stressing me out. I’m currently working and my EAD extension will expire first week of May, I don’t know when I will get an update from them. Is this normal?

Transgender is prob pretty new for immigration. It sucks that you have to suffer the consequence of them not knowing what to do, but it might take them a little bit to figure out if they legally can put another gender on your GC (I would say since you have a court order it shouldn't be a problem, but we all know immigration doesn't think the same way we do) 

Just to be sure you could at least file for a renewal of your EAD. If they make the decision after your EAD expires (although it's 2 months from now) you can't legally work.

If they approve your GC they'll dismiss your EAD renewal. And since you filed AOS you don't have to pay for EAD renewal.

Edited by C90

6 minutes ago, C90 said:

Transgender is prob pretty new for immigration. It sucks that you have to suffer the consequence of them not knowing what to do, but it might take them a little bit to figure out if they legally can put another gender on your GC (I would say since you have a court order it shouldn't be a problem, but we all know immigration doesn't think the same way we do) 

Just to be sure you could at least file for a renewal of your EAD. If they make the decision after your EAD expires (although it's 2 months from now) you can't legally work.

If they approve your GC they'll dismiss your EAD renewal. And since you filed AOS you don't have to pay for EAD renewal.

Hello. I filed my EAD renewal last year month of July but I still haven’t got any update since they received my case. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, chinitayukii said:

Hello. I filed my EAD renewal last year month of July but I still haven’t got any update since they received my case. 

You didn't even get a renewal letter? They're working on September cases now, you should request an inquiry.

• 2 weeks later...

I received a notice letter for the EAD renewal on 07/24/2018 and I used this to extend my employment in November. I have not heard any additional update after that. The HR department where I work is asking for proof no later than may 11th, but I don't know how I can prove it without any update from the USCIS.

6 hours ago, chinitayukii said:

I received a notice letter for the EAD renewal on 07/24/2018 and I used this to extend my employment in November. I have not heard any additional update after that. The HR department where I work is asking for proof no later than may 11th, but I don't know how I can prove it without any update from the USCIS.

I applied the renewal in August last year. Also waiting...

Timeline
On 3/12/2019 at 4:50 PM, chinitayukii said:

You should call USCIS to file an inquiry, since you're outside normal processing time. If it's not going anywhere in time (although you still have 2 months, but def call first thing Monday morning) you should file another renewal for EAD so that you get another extension letter.

Weird enough I hear from a lot of people that renew EAD that they just never get a renewal, just the extension letter. Prob they're so busy with initial EAD's that they don't have time to process the renewals.

Edited by C90

On 3/15/2019 at 9:41 PM, C90 said:

You should call USCIS to file an inquiry, since you're outside normal processing time. If it's not going anywhere in time (although you still have 2 months, but def call first thing Monday morning) you should file another renewal for EAD so that you get another extension letter.

Weird enough I hear from a lot of people that renew EAD that they just never get a renewal, just the extension letter. Prob they're so busy with initial EAD's that they don't have time to process the renewals.

I tried calling them almost every week and they can’t provide much information even the Tier 2 officer. Do you know someone who filed another ead renewal? Is it safe to do that? Thank you

Timeline
2 hours ago, chinitayukii said:

I tried calling them almost every week and they can’t provide much information even the Tier 2 officer. Do you know someone who filed another ead renewal? Is it safe to do that? Thank you

There's actually a whole topic going on right now, maybe you can follow it, it seems to have a lot of info.

I don't know anyone who renewed EAD again while the original renewal was till pending. Some people say they'll deny your second renewal, I've also read that other people encourage to file another renewal if your extension letter is going to expire soon.

It's ridiculous that, because USCIS can't handle their workload, you have to lose your job. I would call USCIS to ask if you can file another renewal and also explain that it's their fault that you might not be able to work anymore. Maybe they'll be understanding (although I doubt it sometimes) and allow you to file another renewal. Since it never really happens that your gc doesn't come in before your extension expires, there's not a lot of info on this question.

On top of this all, get your congressman / senator involved.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.