MoroccanEscape

Traveling To Morocco on Extension Letter

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello,

My husband came to the US in September of 2016 on a CR1. We filed to have the conditions lifted last year and received our NOA 9/6/18. He received his extension letter, extending his green card 18 months until they are through adjudicating our case. Here is my question and my

gut wrenching dilemma. He wants to go back to Morocco for a visit this summer. He at first wanted to wait until he received his 10 year green card, but has since changed his mind. I'm sure he wants to see his mom and family, I mean who wouldn't ? I am just scared to death that when it comes time for him to board his plane to come back that they will not let him. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about Morocco not accepting the extension letter, etc. I am trying to find anyone who is in the same situation that has flown with the extension letter recently to Morocco.

Did you have any issues and if you did, what were they ? I have a friend whose husband's CR1 was approved in late December. He was leaving Morocco from the Casablanca airport, with his wife, and they would not let him leave. And this was with a passport and a visa !!!!!! They said it was because he had a 1 hour and 10 min layover in Paris and because he didn't have a visa for France, he couldn't go. She had to leave him at the airport, and fly back to the US without him and he came a few days later with a layover in Portugal this time. She said that the Moroccan officials

at the airport told him when he left, not to come back unless you want to stay !!!!!!!!! 

u10nm5.png

hSSvm6.png

I went last summer to morocco for 3 weeks with my expired GC and 12 months extension and I have not encountered any problem , everyone seems to be familiar with the those papers. I had 13 hours layover in Paris , France and had 0 problem.

Edited by torres10

Timeline

This may be a stupid question, but since I can't see your timeline, I have to ask. You are from Morocco correct and didn't just travel to Morocco for a vacation ? Sorry if it seems obvious.

u10nm5.png

hSSvm6.png

Timeline
4 minutes ago, torres10 said:

No you are totally fine. Yes I'm Moroccan and I travelled with My Moroccan passport , expired GC and extension letter.

Thank you so much !  I appreciate the information !

u10nm5.png

hSSvm6.png

Timeline
38 minutes ago, torres10 said:

You are welcome.

One more question. Do you mind telling me if you had a layover anywhere ? If so, where and did you have to have a transit visa ? We are looking for flights that have a layover in Madrid both ways - but should we be looking elsewhere as well ?

I know that he does not want to have a layover in France.

u10nm5.png

hSSvm6.png

12 minutes ago, MoroccanEscape said:

One more question. Do you mind telling me if you had a layover anywhere ? If so, where and did you have to have a transit visa ? We are looking for flights that have a layover in Madrid both ways - but should we be looking elsewhere as well ?

Yes like I mentioned , I had 13 hours layover in Paris and I stayed at the airport the whole night , I know for sure that Moroccans don’t need transit visa if they have layover in Paris unless you are changing airport and you have to go out then you need transit visa.

ask as many questions as you want :) I was in the same situation and I couldn’t find any Moroccan here that went through this experience,I was scared but all went good.

Edited by torres10

14 minutes ago, MoroccanEscape said:

Also I flew in and from Rabat , I have never used Casablanca.

Frankly, in my opinion and if it were my husband, I wouldn't risk it. It's understandable that he wants to see his family but the risk involved is too great I think, why not just wait a bit longer? If it were an emergency then I would understand taking the chance but thank goodness it's not for any serious reason and you have video chat, he has waited this long, why not just be safe than sorry? That's my opinion on it, at the end of the day as you said, this is his mother and I understand his position, he will have to make the call, and I can't fault him for wanting to visit. Best of luck.

Timeline

I agree with you 100%. But he says that he had promised them to come home last summer for a visit and had to change his plans because he changed jobs. He says he can't do that to them again. I feel so guilty for asking him to wait, but it's only for a few months and maybe we'd know something by the end of the year or early next year and then he could go. Thank you for your opinion, I don't know what will happen.

u10nm5.png

hSSvm6.png

Hi, im planning to travel to Morocco also with exp card and extension letter 

On 2/25/2019 at 3:54 PM, torres10 said:

I went last summer to morocco for 3 weeks with my expired GC and 12 months extension and I have not encountered any problem , everyone seems to be familiar with the those papers. I had 13 hours layover in Paris , France and had 0 problem.

Salam alykom, im planning to travel to Morocco also inshallah with expired green card and extension letter , just a small question pls , at the register there in morocco when you showed them the letter did they recognized  it from the beginning or the person called for assistance from supervisor   ?

42 minutes ago, saadsabir1230 said:

Hi, im planning to travel to Morocco also with exp card and extension letter 

Salam alykom, im planning to travel to Morocco also inshallah with expired green card and extension letter , just a small question pls , at the register there in morocco when you showed them the letter did they recognized  it from the beginning or the person called for assistance from supervisor   ?

Yes he recognized it from the beginning and asked if I’m in process to get new one....I said ‘yes’ then he stamped my passport and I was good to go :)

18 minutes ago, torres10 said:

Yes he recognized it from the beginning and asked if I’m in process to get new one....I said ‘yes’ then he stamped my passport and I was good to go :)

Great!  one more question please 🙂 , you had layover in which country ?  if so they did recognize it from beginning also with no issue ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.