3 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

My wife and I are waiting to receive her green card. She arrived in the US with the fiancé visa in September 2017 and we applied for the green card in October. We just got an RFE simply asking for an English translation or her birth certificate which we will send this week. We didn't know when we could officially change her name so we didn't do it upon our marriage. I was wondering if we could attach a short letter to the RFE explaining that going forward we would like her name to be changed on the green card and social security card? Is that possible or does USCIS accept that and do that?

3 minutes ago, scott&camila said:

My wife and I are waiting to receive her green card. She arrived in the US with the fiancé visa in September 2017 and we applied for the green card in October. We just got an RFE simply asking for an English translation or her birth certificate which we will send this week. We didn't know when we could officially change her name so we didn't do it upon our marriage. I was wondering if we could attach a short letter to the RFE explaining that going forward we would like her name to be changed on the green card and social security card? Is that possible or does USCIS accept that and do that?

You needed to apply for AOS in the name she wanted to elect after marriage. That's actually the first place you CAN change your name as an immigrant (even though it wont happen for many months later). Once your GC is issued in the married name you can then change the SSN name to the married name. 

The only place you can ask now is at your GC interview. They may allow to adjust the name you input on the I485 when you submitted it. After that you could change the SSN on your own with the GC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.