Zoot7

Leaving the Philippines after Returning for a Holiday

12 posts in this topic

Firstly I should say, I'm not a US citizen nor are we living in the US, but this forum has been a great source of information about the Philippine requirements for us both in the past.

My wife and I got married in Jan of 2017 in her province in the Philippines.

In March of 2017 my wife left the Philippines on a Work Visa (she got a job as a nurse here) to come to Ireland. She followed the usual channels of attending the PDOS seminar and getting an OEC like all OFWs are unforunately required to do so. She also did the CFO before she left and still has the certificate although it wasn't required at the time. I actually posted here previously about that:

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/626754-leaving-the-philippines-on-a-work-visa-but-travelling-with-foreign-spouse/

We got her a Spousal Residence Permit rather than the one that overseas workers usually get since it's free and she doesn't need any work permit to work here. So technically she's not an OFW anymore. We also got her name changed to her married name in her passport via the embassy in London in late 2017, which is a different variation of her name to what's on the CFO certificate.

My question is what does she need upon leaving the Philippines after returning home for a holiday? Does she need to go through the process of getting an OEC again? The OEC can be a pain to get so she'd like to avoid it if possible.

I think all that's required is for her to show her Residence Permit (the equivalent of the US Green Card), the Re-Entry visa and that's enough? Is the CFO certificate likely to be asked for?

I can't find any information about this despite my searching high and low.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Zoot7 said:

Firstly I should say, I'm not a US citizen nor are we living in the US, but this forum has been a great source of information about the Philippine requirements for us both in the past.

My wife and I got married in Jan of 2017 in her province in the Philippines.

In March of 2017 my wife left the Philippines on a Work Visa (she got a job as a nurse here) to come to Ireland. She followed the usual channels of attending the PDOS seminar and getting an OEC like all OFWs are unforunately required to do so. She also did the CFO before she left and still has the certificate although it wasn't required at the time. I actually posted here previously about that:

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/626754-leaving-the-philippines-on-a-work-visa-but-travelling-with-foreign-spouse/

We got her a Spousal Residence Permit rather than the one that overseas workers usually get since it's free and she doesn't need any work permit to work here. So technically she's not an OFW anymore. We also got her name changed to her married name in her passport via the embassy in London in late 2017, which is a different variation of her name to what's on the CFO certificate.

My question is what does she need upon leaving the Philippines after returning home for a holiday? Does she need to go through the process of getting an OEC again? The OEC can be a pain to get so she'd like to avoid it if possible.

I think all that's required is for her to show her Residence Permit (the equivalent of the US Green Card), the Re-Entry visa and that's enough? Is the CFO certificate likely to be asked for?

I can't find any information about this despite my searching high and low.

I know those that have a green card (Legal Permanent Resident) from the USA are not questioned about CFO.    

If she has a Resident Permit she should be just fine exiting.       

There would be no harm in her bringing the CFO certificate, worse case if there is an issue she can take that certificate to CFO and get the sticker in her passport (bring a copy of the marriage certificate also)

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Thanks for the reply. I can't see why the Residence Permit wouldn't be enough.

Another thing though - Lets say somebody leaves the Philippines on a K-1or equiviliant visa with the CFO sticker, and then changes their passport abroad to their married name. The CFO sticker would have gone into the old passport but not the new one since they renewed it outside the Philippines. Do they still require the CFO sticker in their new passport after they leave after returning for a holiday?

When my wife was at the CFO, she was told they'll only put the sticker there for a Join Spouse or Fiancee visa not anything else.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Zoot7 said:

Thanks for the reply. I can't see why the Residence Permit wouldn't be enough.

Another thing though - Lets say somebody leaves the Philippines on a K-1or equiviliant visa with the CFO sticker, and then changes their passport abroad to their married name. The CFO sticker would have gone into the old passport but not the new one since they renewed it outside the Philippines. Do they still require the CFO sticker in their new passport after they leave after returning for a holiday?

When my wife was at the CFO, she was told they'll only put the sticker there for a Join Spouse or Fiancee visa not anything else.

No.   The CFO sticker is only needed for exiting emigrates .. once a person has a green card or in your case the residence permit (if this is similar to the green card) they are not exiting emigrates.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

3 hours ago, Hank_ said:

No.   The CFO sticker is only needed for exiting emigrates .. once a person has a green card or in your case the residence permit (if this is similar to the green card) they are not exiting emigrates.

Thanks for your help.

That was my understanding. I guess the Residence Permit (Green Card equiviliant) is key. :)

Timeline
37 minutes ago, Zoot7 said:

Thanks for your help.

That was my understanding. I guess the Residence Permit (Green Card equiviliant) is key. :)

Yes, my thinking as well.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ate said:

If her current passport has no unused immigrant visa, I don't think airport immigration will even bring up CFO at all.

But she does need to bring her Residence Permit anyway so she can claim travel tax exemption.

She couldn't get on the airplane without the Residence Permit or a visa.

Exempting from the travel tax depends on when last paid and/or also how long a person has been in the Phils.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

She couldn't get on the airplane without the Residence Permit or a visa.

Hehe, true!

4 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Exempting from the travel tax depends on when last paid and/or also how long a person has been in the Phils.

I assumed OP's wife's holiday in the Philippines lasted less than one year.  If so, she's exempted from paying travel tax because she's a permanent resident abroad.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Ate said:

Hehe, true!

I assumed OP's wife's holiday in the Philippines lasted less than one year.  If so, she's exempted from paying travel tax because she's a permanent resident abroad.

Assumption is the mother all ...  ups    ;)  :lol:  

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.