TTG

IR1 Visa Embassy Interview Experience

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, MrsB2212 said:

Help please !

Im getting really annoyed 

Did you have any trouble registering for courier services on the AIS website??

it keeps saying MY case number not ready to schedule interview 😱

my status on CEAC is “ready”

Did you use your IV case number? And what are you putting for your DS number ? 

I emailed them 6 days ago and they said try today and still drama 😖

Did you get a letter from the embassy saying apply for the visa? And did you choose this when trying to use the system ?

"I have received a letter from the consular section with instructions to schedule an immigrant visa appointment."

17 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Did you get a letter from the embassy saying apply for the visa? And did you choose this when trying to use the system ?

"I have received a letter from the consular section with instructions to schedule an immigrant visa appointment."

I got a letter from NVC with my appointment date. March 1st.

So I need to register the appointment- so it’s the first option. Is that not right ?

I also tried all Other options  and I get the same message. 😞 

about my case is not ready to interview. 

and there is no phone number to call!! 

25 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

On 2/19/2019 at 3:43 AM, TTG said:

It's all finally happening. Just had my interview here in London February 1st. Here's a summary of the experience for reference. Hope it's helpful for anyone anxious about theirs.

Getting there and check-in.

•  Interview for 9:30am. The embassy guide said be there 15 minutes early. I arrived 30 minutes early. Rush hour is unpredictable so better safe than sorry. Nearest tube is Vauxhall, then a 15 minute walk along the river to the embassy. Go to the south entrance (signs are near the building, if in doubt ask a heavily armed policeman for the visa entrance.)
  • There is airport style security (with real TSA personnel.) Had my passport and DS-260 confirmation print out ready to be checked then went through security. 15 minutes or so from start to finish. 
  • Once past security there'll be another queue at a reception in a big lobby. Once again had my DS-260 confirmation checked. Enjoy the giant Rachel Whiteread artwork along the wall to the right :) 15 minute wait time in this queue.
  • At the reception desk I was allocated a number which was stuck onto the DS-260 print out and then sent on my merry way.

Document check

• The visa services area is on the 1st floor. There are elevators. Admire the declaration of independence and Kennedy quote as you wait for the elevator. Once you get upstairs there will be a giant Men in Black style waiting area with lots and lots of screens displaying numbers. The immigrant visa section is to the left, around the corner, tucked away with its own separate waiting area. 
  • There was only 1 other person waiting when I arrived and I was called to the window right away. 
  • I was asked to provide DS-260 confirmation, email confirmation of interview, passport, 1 US passport sized photo, birth certificate, ACRO police certificate, marriage certificate, and an original deed poll since I changed my name not too long ago. I arrived with photocopies of everything but was never asked for the copies.
  • I was not asked to provide form I-864 (affidavit of support), proof of relationship, proof of my partner's domicile/nationality, proof of payment for IV fee or AOS fee. Although of course I showed up with all of those documents also.
  • After a quick check that all the documents were present, the lady scanned my photograph and returned it to me. She also gave me a CD with the xrays from my medical which she instructed me to carry on my person when I travel to the US. This only took 5 minutes or so. After that I was instructed to wait for my number to be called again.

Interview

• 10 minutes later, back I went to the window but this time a case officer was there with a folder full of my documents. I was asked to raise my hand and swear an oath (to tell the truth.) The CO went through all of my documents and asked me a series of questions: 
  • How and when did you and your partner meet? When was the first time you met in person? Why has it taken so long for you to move? Where will you live when you get to the US? What will you do when you get there? Have you resided in any other country since you were 16? Do you hold an existing US visa? Have you ever changed your name?
  • I answered truthfully and except for being asked why it has taken so long, was met with polite but curt acknowledgement. (He wanted a more in depth answer about why it had taken 7 years to apply for this visa.)
  • Finally, after the questions were done he quickly let me know that my visa had been approved. I should expect the visa to arrive via my chosen delivery method (DX courier) within 2 weeks. The visa in my other passport (different country) was cancelled with a stamp, and my documents were returned to me. I don't remember if the lady returned them to me beforehand or if the gentleman returned them to me after the interview but can confirm that everything except the ACRO certificate was returned to me.
  • A few parting words from the CO: "You must travel to the US before the date stated on the visa. This date is 6 months from the date of your medical appointment. Your partner must either be in the country when you travel or travelling with you into the US. When the passport is returned to you it will come with an immigrant visa package, do not open the package and ensure you carry it on your person when arriving in the US for the border officer to review."
  • No problems at all throughout the process. Not at all intimidating and not nearly as complex as I thought it would be. I was out of the building in under 5 minutes and back home an hour later. 

Receiving the visa

• During the registration process before the interview I opted to receive my passport back visa DX courier. My interview was on Friday morning and I received a text on Tuesday that it would be ready to collect from the depot that day. In actuality it was not ready until Wednesday (it arrived Tuesday evening but the depot closes at 5pm.) At any rate, far faster than the 2 weeks predicted by the CO.
  • I received no immigrant visa package with the passport. The visa enclosed reads 'IV docs in CCD' which negates the need for the package.

So that's it. The entire process. The final step for immigration after this is the immigrant fee ($220). This is the fee for the green card and it must be paid before travelling to the US. 

Now onto packing, sorting the house out, quitting the job, and getting outta here!

Did they not require you to show them your courier booking confirmation page for passport return?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, MrsB2212 said:

I got a letter from NVC with my appointment date. March 1st.

So I need to register the appointment- so it’s the first option. Is that not right ?

I also tried all Other options  and I get the same message. 😞 

about my case is not ready to interview. 

and there is no phone number to call!! 

Your profile says IR1/CR1(DCF) which would mean you filed your I-130 at the USCIS office in London and skipped the NVC and book your own appointment. My misunderstanding. 

9 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Your profile says IR1/CR1(DCF) which would mean you filed your I-130 at the USCIS office in London and skipped the NVC and book your own appointment. My misunderstanding. 

Not DCF. Case went to NVC, and is now in London ready for interview. NVC booked the interview appointment

Edited by MrsB2212

On 2/27/2019 at 1:03 AM, TTG said:

No. I wasn't asked for it. I also didn't print the confirmation page. 

I had my interview today at US London embassy. 

The FIRST document that I was asked for was the courier confirmation page print out! 😂

so glad I took it. 

Visa approved, just pending receipt of my medical records, which I did yesterday.

So currently under administrative processing....

I hope it won’t take too long. 

The medical office said they take a week to send records off. I wonder how long the embassy response time after that is....

On 3/1/2019 at 8:34 PM, MrsB2212 said:

I had my interview today at US London embassy. 

The FIRST document that I was asked for was the courier confirmation page print out! 😂

so glad I took it. 

Visa approved, just pending receipt of my medical records, which I did yesterday.

So currently under administrative processing....

I hope it won’t take too long. 

The medical office said they take a week to send records off. I wonder how long the embassy response time after that is....

LOL. Figures. 

Were you asked for the affidavit of support or proof of your partner's citizenship?

6 hours ago, TTG said:

LOL. Figures. 

Were you asked for the affidavit of support or proof of your partner's citizenship?

Nope. Not at all. Not even my DS260 confirmation page with the barcode. 

The only  documents I was asked for where

marriage certificate 

birth certificate 

police certificates

photographs 

passport 

courier confirmation page. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.