Jump to content

US Citizenship daughter

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello All!


I have a question regarding my daughter of 4 months old if she could have US citizenship. She is born in the Netherlands last October in wedlock and my daughter currently holds only Dutch citizenship . I'm a Dutch citizen with a valid IR-1 visa after an interview last January. My wife is a US citizen that derived her citizenship from her dad. My wife came to the US as a resident, but because she was under 18 at that time she automatically became a US citizen. This was already after she finished high school in Mexico (she also is a Mexican citizen). About 2 months ago we applied for a CRBA for my daughter. We didn't think it would be a big deal since my wife is a US citizen. We also know of the rule that you have to proof 5 years of residence in the US when you apply for a CRBA. My wife never had a job in the US, because she was being a nanny to her little niece. This was voluntary since I always had a good job in the Netherlands. Also did she continue to live with her parents until she moved to the Netherlands over 1 year ago to wait for our IR-1 visa process. This we also explained during the interview of my daughter's CRBA interview. They needed additional proof of the 5 year residency in the States. My wife is currently seeing if she can find more information we can possible send. My wife doesn't have any records of an employment in the US. She also never had a bank account in the US, she was always using Dutch credit cards. We provided with lots of mailing directed to my wife, pictures and also showing payments in the States. My question is that in the case that the CRBA of my daughter is denied what would be the best way to take our daughter to the US? I read that we could maybe file for the N400K. My wife's dad has employment proof for about 20 years in the US. Another option I read was to just make another I130 application and then do adjustment of status while being in the US. Because of my visa I have to live in the US to maintain residency. Or is it still an option to apply for my daughter US Citizenship in the US at a US Passport office. I hope somebody could give me some advice what would be the smartest way to make sure our baby girl can also live with us in the US.


Your advice is appreciated! Thanks!


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

No idea about the US citizenship, but keep in mind that the Dutch government is trying to wipe out dual citizenship. Be aware that there might be a change she could loose her Dutch nationality. They are currently trying to revamp the whole law again (It's the Dutch government so you know how that goes). Not sure what will happen, but part of the new thing has to do with your specific situation. Suggest your read up on the Dutch offical websites as well as a google search on "dubbele nationaliteit".

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.