eskimo85

NVC help

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

A few weeks ago I sent an inquiry to the NVC about the status of receiving my fiancee's petition. They sent a generic letter back with his Case number and when I went to check on the NVC website the case number was for an immigrant visa and we filed a K1 visa which is non-immigrant from what I understand. Today, it said that our file is in transit to the US consulate which is great but we never got a letter with instruction of what to do in terms of filing any other forms or paying fees to get our interview scheduled. Do we file the DS-160 and pay visa fees once we get a letter from the US embassy? Can anyone help with this?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
4 hours ago, eskimo85 said:

A few weeks ago I sent an inquiry to the NVC about the status of receiving my fiancee's petition. They sent a generic letter back with his Case number and when I went to check on the NVC website the case number was for an immigrant visa and we filed a K1 visa which is non-immigrant from what I understand. Today, it said that our file is in transit to the US consulate which is great but we never got a letter with instruction of what to do in terms of filing any other forms or paying fees to get our interview scheduled. Do we file the DS-160 and pay visa fees once we get a letter from the US embassy? Can anyone help with this?

The Immigrant Visa Unit processes your case and does the interview in London, thus your status says "immigrant". Think of it as a clerical name for now to get it to the right department.

Once London gets the file and has time to log it in, they will send the beneficiary a postal letter saying to get started on the four steps listed on their website. Those are found here at the bottom of this page https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/applying-for-the-visa/

The four steps will give you an overview and order for doing things. Then go read all the links at the top for specific information on things like the medical, interview, documents needed, etc. 

You don't have to wait for the letter to to arrive. Once the status says "ready" you know the file is received and you can start following the steps.  Before you rush to make the medical appointment, make sure you have everything they require you bring to the exam---police certificate, shot record, health summary printout from the GP. The NHS is sometimes very slow (3-4 weeks) at getting things done so don't pick a visa medical exam date until you have gotten everything needed from the GP or at least know how soon they will provide what is needed. Police certificates come fairly quickly from ACRO. 

You'll find all the information on the instruction page and in the individual links. https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/applying-for-the-visa/

Start asking questions in the UK FORUM because that will be your best London information.

And finally, once you have done everything in London and are just waiting for them to send the visa, at some point your status will change from Immigrant to nonimmigrant. That is your clue that they are about ready to print the visa. Once that is done, your status will say "nonimmigrant" and "issued".

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you so much! Super helpful. 

So while the NVC had our petition we didn’t have to do anything? 

where do we go to check if the status says “ready”? is that through the NVC or another website? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
41 minutes ago, eskimo85 said:

So while the NVC had our petition we didn’t have to do anything? 

No processing or immigration forms. It would have been a great time to order the Police Certificate and go get the shots needed for immigration. There are four adult shots. Some may already be recorded as having received. Varicella is waived if you had chickenpox. The sponsor can do the I-134 affidavit of support and get it in the snail mail to the UK fiancé.

Check status here https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx

Use the case number assigned by NVC.  LNDxxxxxxxxxxx

Edited by Wuozopo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.