Jump to content

Visa still valid after passport name change?

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts



Just as a heads up I have Googled this and found many different answers. Also, the US embassy in Bangkok have emailed me back with automated answers which don't specifically explain what needs to be done. Nobody answers the phone ūüėĬ†and the main US visa website also has a different answer to what the US embassy replied to me so I am pretty confused.¬†


Background -


I am UK citizen that currently lives and works in Bangkok. My wife (Thai citizen) has a valid B1/B2 tourist visa that expires in 2027. She obtained this visa from the London US embassy when we lived in England together from 2015 - 2017 and we went to New York on holiday in 2017. Even though this visa is still valid for another 8 years, her passport in which it is in has now expired.


This obviously wouldn't normally be an issue (present both her old and new passports to border control), however since we moved back to Bangkok she has got a new passport and as we're married added on my surname to the end of her first name and maiden name. Meaning that the name on her original valid visa (in her expired passport) is slightly different to the name in her new passport. 


We're planning on going on holiday to America again either this Christmas / Easter 2020 so would like to be able know what is the best way to sort this out before booking any flights etc. The question that I have tried to get answered is if we plan to go there on holiday is her current valid visa (expires in 2027) still fine to use even though it is in an old expired passport, and her new passport has had my surname added in it? 


So far I have seen 4 different answers about what should be presented to border control in the US - 


1. Yes it is fine just take both passports to show (old one with valid visa in and the new one)


2. Yes it is fine just take both passports to show (old one with valid visa in and the new one) and documentation in English of her legal name change in Thailand as well as our English marriage certificate 


3. No the visa is no longer valid as the names are different so you need a new visa


4. Go to the MFA in Bangkok and have them endorse your new passport so that states you are the same person, your valid visas are still fine to use and take both passports with you (old one with valid visa in and the new one).


Quite a long post but all the different answers have been quite confusing and we certainly don't want to travel across the world and have issues. 


Thanks a lot for any help. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

#2, as noted above. 


1. valid visa in passport

2. new passport

3. evidence of name change in english

4. marriage certificate in english

I-751 journey


10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

  xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.