OmarStuck

N-600K Clarification and Questions

21 posts in this topic

Hey all!

I would like to present my case and get feedback from others as there are no posts on the N-600K. I would like to make things very clear from the get-go so there is no confusion as to what I am doing.

-I (American father) was born in the US and have US citizenship (lived until the age of 15 in the US, 13 years overseas)

-The mother is not a US citizen

My daughter was born overseas and is not eligible for US citizenship. I did not meet the requirement of living 5 years total with 2 years over the age of 14 in the US. I was not aware of such requirement. I have learnt my lesson!

I had to get another citizenship for my daughter through my father and it was an awful ordeal. The country of birth does not give citizenship.

I have applied for the N-600K for my daughter as we are living overseas and do not have any intention to move to the US in the near future. This is why we are not applying for I-130 for her.

What is the N-600K?  

The N-600K can be used to grant citizenship from the US citizen parent's parents (US citizen grandparents) if the grandparents have lived in the US for 5 years and two years over the age of 14 and the child regularly resides in a foreign country.  (See INA Section 322(a)(2)(B))

The N-600K is not the N-600! The N-600 is used to obtain a Certificate of Citizenship. They are two different forms!

If you have submitted such a form, how long did it take you to go from submitting the form to getting it approved?

I have two status updates when I log in:

Case Received: November 28, 2018

Form forwarded to local office : December 11, 2018

When should I expect another update?

If I have made any mistakes in the post above, please let me know.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Omar,

no personal advice, just started looking into this for my nieces. But I suggest you do a quick search here on visa journey using the keyword “n-600k” that turned up a handful of results for me with some good feedback. Here’s just one of those results: 

I-130 Sent : 2012-05-09

I-130 NOA1 : 2012-05-16

I-130 Approved : 2012-07-31

NVC Received : 2012-08-08

Sent DS-3032 by email: 2012-08-17

Received I-864 Bill : 2012-08-08

Pay I-864 Bill: 2012-08-08

Downloaded I-864EZ online: 2012-08-09

Receive IV Bill : 2012-08-20

OPTIN for electronic processing: 2012-08-29

Pay IV Bill : 2012-08-31

Completed DS-260 online : 2012-09-07

Emailed Completed I-864EZ and supporting I-864 documentation: 2012-09-18

Emailed IV scanned docs (birth cert, etc) : 2012-09-26

Case Completed at NVC : No idea, I never got a case complete email...?

NVC Left : 2012-10-11

Consulate Received :

Interview Date : 2012-11-21

Interview Result : approved!!

Visa Received :

Timeline

Consulate Received :

Visa Received :

On 2/22/2019 at 7:03 PM, one_white_rose said:

Hi Omar,

no personal advice, just started looking into this for my nieces. But I suggest you do a quick search here on visa journey using the keyword “n-600k” that turned up a handful of results for me with some good feedback. Here’s just one of those results: 

Dear one_white_rose,

Thanks for your help! I have gone ahead and submitted the N-600K but I am looking for answers as to how long it takes and who to contact for information.

Thank You

Timeline

Not sure if this helps, but these are historical processing times, including for the n-600k:

Consulate Received :

Visa Received :

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2019 at 7:30 PM, one_white_rose said:

Not sure if this helps, but these are historical processing times, including for the n-600k:

I am still waiting for a reply on my N-600K. It has been around 6 months since I applied for the N-600K.

I filed with the Chicago office. It is possible for me to contact them and talk to somebody? Where can I find their phone number?

I have seen some posts mention that certain offices do not work on the N-600K and did not forward it to the correct office until they were contacted.

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2019 at 2:31 AM, OmarStuck said:

Hey all!

It has been over a month since I have last updated this topic.

I have not received any response from the USCIS yet. Also, I can not submit an inquiry since the N-600K is not a form that we can request an inquiry for.

Can anybody help?

Thanks!

I have also submitted N-600 around the same time you submitted yours and still have not heard back from them. I feel like the processing times for the N-600 and its subcategories are taking longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all.

I have some news! Yesterday I received an RFE.

They requested the following items:

1. My father's certificate of citizenship. The information on the certificate was requested on the N-600K but it was not originally asked for the certificate to be attached.
  2. Copy of marriage certificate. I submitted a marriage contract which is the official document used in my country of residence but I can get a "proof of marriage" document. I will send copies of both and try to provide clarification 

The RFE said I have 86 days to get back to them. They didn't ask for anymore evidence than what I provided for my father's US residence. We are close hopefully!

I hope this helps somebody.

Edited by OmarStuck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 6/13/2019 at 12:47 AM, OmarStuck said:

they requested the following items:

1. My father's certificate of citizenship. The information on the certificate was requested on the N-600K but it was not originally asked for the certificate to be attached.

Just to note for future reference, and future filers----the Naturalization certificate is listed in the "Required Evidence" section of the instructions for the N600K:

Unless specifically noted otherwise, the person filing this application must submit each of the documents listed below for the child, the qualifying parent, and the grandparent (if applicable), through whom the child is claiming U.S. citizenship at the time of filing to avoid delays in processing Form N-600K.

Child’s Birth Certificate or Record. Issued and certified by a civil authority in the country of birth.

U.S. Citizen Parent’s Birth Certificate or Record. Submit a birth certificate issued and certified by a civil authority in the country of birth.

Marriage Certificates of the U.S. Citizen Parent (if applicable). Issued and certified by a civil authority in the state or country of marriage.

Documents Showing the Marriage Termination of the U.S. Citizen Parent or Child (if applicable).

Certified divorce decree, death certificate, or annulment document.

Proof of U.S. Citizenship of Qualifying Parent or Grandparent. Examples of this are a U.S. birth certificate; Form N-550, Certificate of Naturalization; Form N-560 Certificate of Citizenship; Form FS-240, Report of Birth Abroad of United States Citizen; or a valid unexpired U.S. passport.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2019 at 1:22 PM, Going through said:

Just to note for future reference, and future filers----the Naturalization certificate is listed in the "Required Evidence" section of the instructions for the N600K:

Unless specifically noted otherwise, the person filing this application must submit each of the documents listed below for the child, the qualifying parent, and the grandparent (if applicable), through whom the child is claiming U.S. citizenship at the time of filing to avoid delays in processing Form N-600K.

Child’s Birth Certificate or Record. Issued and certified by a civil authority in the country of birth.

U.S. Citizen Parent’s Birth Certificate or Record. Submit a birth certificate issued and certified by a civil authority in the country of birth.

Marriage Certificates of the U.S. Citizen Parent (if applicable). Issued and certified by a civil authority in the state or country of marriage.

Documents Showing the Marriage Termination of the U.S. Citizen Parent or Child (if applicable).

Certified divorce decree, death certificate, or annulment document.

Proof of U.S. Citizenship of Qualifying Parent or Grandparent. Examples of this are a U.S. birth certificate; Form N-550, Certificate of Naturalization; Form N-560 Certificate of Citizenship; Form FS-240, Report of Birth Abroad of United States Citizen; or a valid unexpired U.S. passport.

I appreciate the expansion on this post! The more information, the better we can help others.

As there is an "or" in between the the examples of proof of citizenship, it should mean one of those documents is enough. I provided my father's US passport as proof of US citizenship.

For future applicants, it would best to attach a copy of the Certificate of Naturalization if the parent or grandparents were naturalized.

For the status on my application, I have sent out the documents they asked for and am waiting for their response. Hopefully the next email will be for the appointment!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
17 hours ago, OmarStuck said:

As there is an "or" in between the the examples of proof of citizenship, it should mean one of those documents is enough. I provided my father's US passport as proof of US citizenship.

Ah, you didn't mention you'd sent it in your posts, so I read it as though you hadn't sent in any proof of your father's citizenship with the original application when I posted the information... Yes, it should have been enough if the passport was still valid/unexpired.

I agree, always better to front-load an application when you can.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

19 hours ago, Going through said:

Ah, you didn't mention you'd sent it in your posts, so I read it as though you hadn't sent in any proof of your father's citizenship with the original application when I posted the information... Yes, it should have been enough if the passport was still valid/unexpired.

I agree, always better to front-load an application when you can.

No worries! I will edit my original post to include what I had in my original application

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.