OmarStuck

N-600K Clarification and Questions

1 post in this topic

Hey all!

I would like to present my case and get feedback from others as there are no posts on the N-600K. I would like to make things very clear from the get-go so there is no confusion as to what I am doing.

-I (American father) was born in the US and have US citizenship (lived until the age of 15 in the US, 13 years overseas)

-The mother is not a US citizen

My daughter was born overseas and is not eligible for US citizenship. I did not meet the requirement of living 5 years total with 2 years over the age of 14 in the US. I was not aware of such requirement. I have learnt my lesson!

I had to get another citizenship for my daughter through my father and it was an awful ordeal. The country of birth does not give citizenship.

I have applied for the N-600K for my daughter as we are living overseas and do not have any intention to move to the US in the near future. This is why we are not applying for I-130 for her.

What is the N-600K?  

The N-600K can be used to grant citizenship from the US citizen parent's parents (US citizen grandparents) if the grandparents have lived in the US for 5 years and two years over the age of 14 and the child regularly resides in a foreign country.  (See INA Section 322(a)(2)(B))

The N-600K is not the N-600! The N-600 is used to obtain a Certificate of Citizenship. They are two different forms!

If you have submitted such a form, how long did it take you to go from submitting the form to getting it approved?

I have two status updates when I log in:

Case Received: November 28, 2018

Form forwarded to local office : December 11, 2018

When should I expect another update?

If I have made any mistakes in the post above, please let me know.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.