motherofmike

CR1 Visa Confusion (UPDATE)

11 posts in this topic

Its been close to a month since I last posted about my wife's immigration case here and I've received a lot of responses and thank you all for that. What happened the past month is really interesting. 10 Days ago my wife received back her passport in the mail along with a piece of paper asking for more information, they did NOT give her a denial notice or an intent to deny. The paper is asking further information about her education, social media, email accounts, where she traveled, etc. The interesting thing is that these questions were asked during the USCIS phase, I have since contacted them a few days ago and they told me her application is still under administrative processing and to await further instructions soon. My question is why would they give her back the passport and NOT deny her application? Did anyone go through similar things? Any information, guidance, or perspective on this would be great. Thank you all. 

Some information to know: I am a US Citizen (23) Wife is (21) (Jordanian Citizen). 

We have been legally married for 2 years.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
4 hours ago, motherofmike said:

Its been close to a month since I last posted about my wife's immigration case here and I've received a lot of responses and thank you all for that. What happened the past month is really interesting. 10 Days ago my wife received back her passport in the mail along with a piece of paper asking for more information, they did NOT give her a denial notice or an intent to deny. The paper is asking further information about her education, social media, email accounts, where she traveled, etc. The interesting thing is that these questions were asked during the USCIS phase, I have since contacted them a few days ago and they told me her application is still under administrative processing and to await further instructions soon. My question is why would they give her back the passport and NOT deny her application? Did anyone go through similar things? Any information, guidance, or perspective on this would be great. Thank you all. 

Some information to know: I am a US Citizen (23) Wife is (21) (Jordanian Citizen). 

We have been legally married for 2 years.

They want it directly from her, is the only "why" that you can be sure of.  Sending the passport back is not good.  Worst case, they are looking to verify a material misrepresentation.  Best case, a prolonged administrative process to rule OUT a possible inadmissibility OR to verify she is not THAT (person of the same name).

What was the exact wording of the request?  That could tell us more.  Don't give us YOUR interpretation of the request but rather the actual wording.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

12 hours ago, pushbrk said:

They want it directly from her, is the only "why" that you can be sure of.  Sending the passport back is not good.  Worst case, they are looking to verify a material misrepresentation.  Best case, a prolonged administrative process to rule OUT a possible inadmissibility OR to verify she is not THAT (person of the same name).

What was the exact wording of the request?  That could tell us more.  Don't give us YOUR interpretation of the request but rather the actual wording.

The exact wording is:

Dear applicant, 

Your case is subject to administrative processing and will require additional time. in order to be able to proceed with your case, you must prove the immigrant visa (IV) section with the information below. Please send your answers to the following email address:

AmmanIV@state.gov

If we do not receive this information from you, we will not be able to proceed with your immigrant visa. (information was sent literally the same day we got this letter).

1. Full name exactly as it is listed in your passport:

2. Detailed information about your education in chronological order starting from high school. 

3. Detailed information about your work experience in chronological order starting from your first place of employment. 

4. countries you have visited and traveled to. List the country, duration of travel and purpose of visit. 

5. Have you ever been a member of or in affiliation with any party or organization? 

6. Names of your immediate family members, their dates and places of birth and where they live. 

7. All telephone numbers including country and city code used during the past 5 years.

8. All email addresses and social media accounts used by the applicant in the last 5 years. 

9. All addresses where you have lived for in the past 15 years. 

10. all prior passport numbers used. 

I really hope from your experience you might figure out what all this means. Thanks brother. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, motherofmike said:

The exact wording is:

Dear applicant, 

Your case is subject to administrative processing and will require additional time. in order to be able to proceed with your case, you must prove the immigrant visa (IV) section with the information below. Please send your answers to the following email address:

AmmanIV@state.gov

If we do not receive this information from you, we will not be able to proceed with your immigrant visa. (information was sent literally the same day we got this letter).

1. Full name exactly as it is listed in your passport:

2. Detailed information about your education in chronological order starting from high school. 

3. Detailed information about your work experience in chronological order starting from your first place of employment. 

4. countries you have visited and traveled to. List the country, duration of travel and purpose of visit. 

5. Have you ever been a member of or in affiliation with any party or organization? 

6. Names of your immediate family members, their dates and places of birth and where they live. 

7. All telephone numbers including country and city code used during the past 5 years.

8. All email addresses and social media accounts used by the applicant in the last 5 years. , 

9. All addresses where you have lived for in the past 15 years. 

10. all prior passport numbers used. 

I really hope from your experience you might figure out what all this means. Thanks brother. 

Hopefully, you sent ALL that was asked for.  NO, this was not all asked for during the USCIS phase.  For example 10,9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, would not have been asked for by USCIS.  Depending on age and experience it IS possible some of that has already been provided.  For example, if she only had one passport, email address, or phone number, they may well have the information but those specific questions were not asked.  For 6, only if she is an only child would they have all this information, since an only child's immediate family is limited to her parents.

They are doing a full investigation of her past.  Why exactly, she would have a better idea than anybody, but she may have no idea.  If she doesn't, then it is most likely a matter of somebody with the same name, and perhaps date of birth, that IS ineligible for a visa.  If you actually gave them EVERYTHING  they asked for, then you wait with a positive attitude.  If your reply was provided under the kind of (You already have this.) attitude you displayed in your first post in this topic, then I would be more pessimistic.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

3 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Hopefully, you sent ALL that was asked for.  NO, this was not all asked for during the USCIS phase.  For example 10,9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, would not have been asked for by USCIS.  Depending on age and experience it IS possible some of that has already been provided.  For example, if she only had one passport, email address, or phone number, they may well have the information but those specific questions were not asked.  For 6, only if she is an only child would they have all this information, since an only child's immediate family is limited to her parents.

They are doing a full investigation of her past.  Why exactly, she would have a better idea than anybody, but she may have no idea.  If she doesn't, then it is most likely a matter of somebody with the same name, and perhaps date of birth, that IS ineligible for a visa.  If you actually gave them EVERYTHING  they asked for, then you wait with a positive attitude.  If your reply was provided under the kind of (You already have this.) attitude you displayed in your first post in this topic, then I would be more pessimistic.

Thank you for your input in this matter. Any communication I have had with the embassy was always in a positive, understanding, and kind attitude. Even all these questions I answered PRECISELY and didn't leave a single detail out from any question. My attitude displayed on the previous post was simply frustration that I did NOT  pass onto the embassy at all. My only question left is why would they give her the passport back? Also, I am actually in Jordan now, would you recommend to sit tight and wait or set up an appointment with the embassy and further inquire in a very professional and positive manner? 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, motherofmike said:

Thank you for your input in this matter. Any communication I have had with the embassy was always in a positive, understanding, and kind attitude. Even all these questions I answered PRECISELY and didn't leave a single detail out from any question. My attitude displayed on the previous post was simply frustration that I did NOT  pass onto the embassy at all. My only question left is why would they give her the passport back? Also, I am actually in Jordan now, would you recommend to sit tight and wait or set up an appointment with the embassy and further inquire in a very professional and positive manner? 

Unless your income continues, sitting tight in Jordan for an extended time could impact your qualifications as your wife's sponsor.  Otherwise, I would get on with life while waiting.  This could take several months.  At least with her passport, she can travel internationally if needed.  It may mean nothing more than that.  I do not expect they will tell you anything that will help you understand.  While investigating, they don't tend to give any clue as to why or what, so that people don't know what to set about covering up.  WHERE you sit tight is up to you.  Don't be surprised if you hear nothing at all for several months.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

2 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Unless your income continues, sitting tight in Jordan for an extended time could impact your qualifications as your wife's sponsor.  Otherwise, I would get on with life while waiting.  This could take several months.  At least with her passport, she can travel internationally if needed.  It may mean nothing more than that.  I do not expect they will tell you anything that will help you understand.  While investigating, they don't tend to give any clue as to why or what, so that people don't know what to set about covering up.  WHERE you sit tight is up to you.  Don't be surprised if you hear nothing at all for several months.

Thankfully I have my own stream of income coming in where ever I go, as I have a small business running.  I havent seen the wife in a while which is why I decided to come here. I truely hope this wont take several months as the embassy is really quick in responding to me and is moved on her case rather quickly. But from what I have gathered they have not denied her visa since if they did they would have done so by now. But we wont know obviously so I am taking this entire situation in a positive light. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, motherofmike said:

Thankfully I have my own stream of income coming in where ever I go, as I have a small business running.  I havent seen the wife in a while which is why I decided to come here. I truely hope this wont take several months as the embassy is really quick in responding to me and is moved on her case rather quickly. But from what I have gathered they have not denied her visa since if they did they would have done so by now. But we wont know obviously so I am taking this entire situation in a positive light. 

Just bear in mind that reading your response and actually investigating the facts are very different things in term of the time it takes.  If they thought the administrative processing would be days or weeks, they would not have returned the passport.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

1 minute ago, pushbrk said:

Just bear in mind that reading your response and actually investigating the facts are very different things in term of the time it takes.  If they thought the administrative processing would be days or weeks, they would not have returned the passport.

This makes alot of sense, my guess is to keep on grinding until something comes up from them. But in your opinion would this whole scenario be much different then the average type of case?

Timeline

Not really so different from a case of a male coming from Jordan or other country in the region.  Not all women go through AP.  Sounds like there was a "hit" on somebody with the same name.  It does not smell like a question of the relationship bona fides.  So, they must be ruling out or in, an ineligibility.  Sometimes it takes a while to sort out.  I would think of the passport return as a courtesy.  Another poster recently lost his job because he couldn't get his passport back and needed it for business travel.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

From your previous post about the questions they were asking your wife, and the list of questions recently asked, it sounds like a family member of hers might have a questionable past, maybe a relationship with an organization that is considered hostile towards the US govt., as those exist in Jordan or nearby countries.  They will look at all her social media posts and trips to see if she is or has been involved in such an organization.  Hopefully they won't find anything so that her visa can be approved, but the detailed nature of the questions is an indication that they are going to do a VERY thorough check, more than the "normal" background check, and that will take time, who knows how long?  I hope it's not too long so that this crazy process will soon be over for you two.  Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.