kins

What should I buy in the UK?

102 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Sugar in iced tea?!?!?!?!?!?!

blasphemy.jpg

Iced Tea is nothing like British tea. Southern Sweet Tea (you shoud know, Texan!) is common everywhere.

Eh...I had never heard of 'sweet tea' until I visited North Carolina. When I ordered iced tea in New Orleans, Memphis, all over Mississippi and Alabama, it was served to me without sugar in it. :blink:

I must admit I think I may prefer lemon to the sugar, but I wont know until I try it..

Personally, I prefer my iced tea with lemon but NO sugar. Then again, I don't have much of a sweet tooth and I prefer salty/sour snacks to sugary ones.

Funny you should mention that...I ate Mahi Mahi last night. And when I heard it was dolphin, I was like ####### I'M EATING FLIPPER?!?!?!?!?

Nah, you were eating Mahi Mahi, which is a big fish. Its just that in Hawai'i they refer to Mahi Mahi as "Dolphin Meat", presumably because the natives can't tell the difference between a sea mammal and a large fish.

Visitors to Hawai'i need to temper their anger when they see "Dolphin Sandwich" on the menu. ;)

Hahaha...true, mahi mahi is a big ugly fish but it's so damn tasty. :thumbs:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm slowly starting to find British products in various stores here in Florida, including real Cadbury's! You just have to keep looking (and asking). This website will also come in handy http://www.britishflorida.com/ so I'm thinking if you do a search there's probably something along these lines in other States also. Good luck on your move!

iagree.gif

To be fair Florida is full of Brits, so its a bit easier to find British stuff down there.

Not really. It's been quite difficult, actually. New York State and Pennsylvania are definitely much easier than Florida. At least in my experience. Others may have different experiences than my own, though.

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
To be fair Florida is full of Brits, so its a bit easier to find British stuff down there.

Not really. It's been quite difficult, actually. New York State and Pennsylvania are definitely much easier than Florida. At least in my experience. Others may have different experiences than my own, though.

Ok...I'll have to disagree for Pennsylvania :P at least if you're in Bumblefuct like we are!

I-130 Filed - Sept. 15, 2006

129-F Filed - Oct. 27, 2006

I-130/129F Approved - Jan. 10, 2007

K3/K4 Visas Approved - May 4, 2007

~~~~Hubby and Son PoE Newark - May 27, 2007~~~~

EAD filed for Hubby - June 6, 2007

EAD NOA for Hubby - June 13, 2007

AoS filed for Hubby and Son - June 15, 2007

EAD for Hubby APPROVED! WOW!!!!!! - July 19, 2007

AoS Interview for Hubby and Son in Philadelphia - Friday, September 14, 2007 - APPROVED!

10 Year Green Cards Received!!!! - October 12, 2007

Done until naturalization!

m_7dc3c15c2e1d0eafb3d8770777862202.gif

I guess it depends on what parts of those states you live in. The parts of Florida I have been too have been loaded with British people. Where I live in Pennsylvania is "OK", I can get Baked Beans and Digestives, but its the first place I've lived where there hasn't actually been a proper English import store within 30 miles of my house.

I'm slowly starting to find British products in various stores here in Florida, including real Cadbury's! You just have to keep looking (and asking). This website will also come in handy http://www.britishflorida.com/ so I'm thinking if you do a search there's probably something along these lines in other States also. Good luck on your move!

You and I have the same local office :whistle:

There are a TON of Brit things here, but you have to look for them. I think it abounds more in NY tho...

There's a cute lil pub in Altamonte Springs. And Orlando itself has loads of Brit shops...there's one in Old Town iirc

There are a TON of Brit things here, but you have to look for them. I think it abounds more in NY tho...

There's a cute lil pub in Altamonte Springs. And Orlando itself has loads of Brit shops...there's one in Old Town iirc

We just moved to Lake County from Marion in the new year so I'm still trying to find my way around this area. I think I've finally stopped turning down the wrong street to get to my house, though. I kept going down the street before mine. My neighbours probably think I'm batty because it's a cul de sac. :blush:

What is Old Town iirc?

iagree.gif

We just moved to Lake County from Marion in the new year so I'm still trying to find my way around this area. I think I've finally stopped turning down the wrong street to get to my house, though. I kept going down the street before mine. My neighbours probably think I'm batty because it's a cul de sac. :blush:

What is Old Town iirc?

iirc is if I recall correctly.

Old Town is this little set of shops in Kissimmee. Tourist trap area, but years ago there was a Brit store in there that me & D happened upon.

Lake County? that's close-ish...I live in VL

I really don't think there's one thing you can't buy in the US that you can get in the UK, and everything's much cheaper with the exchange rate (plus the lower cost of living - the UK is pretty much rip-off central of the world, price wise), so just sell what you can before you leave, pack light and buy over here.

OK tell me where I can buy PLAICE?

LifeacrossthePond

Removing Conditions (here we go again)

July 27th I-751 sent to Nebraska

July 30th USPS delivered

Aug 22nd check cashed

Aug 23rd I797C received - case been transferred to California

Aug 29th Biometrics Appt Letter arrived

Sept 12th Biometrics Appt Pittsburgh

Sept 24th email notice of Approval - card ordered !!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

If nothing else, I want to reiterate M&S undies and OTC drugs. There have been times I would have quite literally killed for a Nurofen, and my good ol' Marks knickers are still going strong after 2 years of abuse in the US (and they weren't new when they came here!).

If you have a local British Goods store, you're lucky. We're starting to see the odd thing being carried up here if you look in the right places - Marmite is in the baking section of the supermarket, of all places - but the dedicated BGS we had in Freeport (home of LL Bean, huge tourist trap) burnt down.

:cry:

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

If nothing else, I want to reiterate M&S undies and OTC drugs. There have been times I would have quite literally killed for a Nurofen, and my good ol' Marks knickers are still going strong after 2 years of abuse in the US (and they weren't new when they came here!).

If you have a local British Goods store, you're lucky. We're starting to see the odd thing being carried up here if you look in the right places - Marmite is in the baking section of the supermarket, of all places - but the dedicated BGS we had in Freeport (home of LL Bean, huge tourist trap) burnt down.

:cry:

I still have my mother sending over packs of Hanes Her Way cotton undies. Brit undies chafe. :whistle:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.