kins

What should I buy in the UK?

102 posts in this topic

OK I'm starting to think I MIGHT actually move to the US in the next month or two (eek!) and I'm trying to remember what is cheaper to buy in the UK than the US, and what kind of stuff you can ONLY buy in the UK and not in the US.

What kind of stuff are you planning on buying lots of before you go, and taking with you?

Mike and Jill's I-130 timeline

9 Jan 2007 - sent application for police record

11 Jan 2007 - posted I-130 off

17 Jan 2007 - I-130 officially filed

22 Feb 2007 - Mike received official job offer in the US

13 Apr 2007 - I-130 approved

21 Apr 2007 - packet 3 received

23 Apr 2007 - posted packet 3 to Embassy

25 Apr 2007 - packet 3 received at Embassy PO box

30 Apr 2007 - medical in London

30 Apr 2007 - received packet 4

7 Jun 2007 - interview - visa approved :-)))

9 Jun 2007 - received visa and mystery brown envelope

30 Jun 2007 - planning to move to US

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I'm starting to think I MIGHT actually move to the US in the next month or two (eek!) and I'm trying to remember what is cheaper to buy in the UK than the US, and what kind of stuff you can ONLY buy in the UK and not in the US.

What kind of stuff are you planning on buying lots of before you go, and taking with you?

FYI - the Sterling has a much higher value than the dollar - so buy here (US) if you're going to buy anyway. Excluding, of course, anything you need but can't get here. :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Food items that you really love and your favorite tea bags as you likely will have a tougher time finding British specialties and when you do find them, the prices will be absurdly high. Others say our duvets here are ####### so you might want to get a good one there if this might be an issue for you. Clothes ans shoes are much much cheaper here - so covert those pounds to dollars - double your money and go on a wild shopping spree when you get here!! Good luck with the move!!!!

This is the start of my non food list for when I go home (UK) in Sept.

Hand Towels (the hand towels here are more like guest towel size)

Tea Towels (again the ones here are tiny)

Dish cloths (here they are pretty expensive for what you use them for I love the ones back home which are like 3 for 50p...lol)

Duvet Covers (hard to find here and expensive when you do find them).

Cushion covers (i like to be able to take mine off and wash them. The one's you buy here usually are not removable).

Maybe I should get myself a little business going here..........English Linens!! :whistle:

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Dish cloths (here they are pretty expensive for what you use them for I love the ones back home which are like 3 for 50p...lol)

Cushion covers (i like to be able to take mine off and wash them. The one's you buy here usually are not removable).

Maybe I should get myself a little business going here..........English Linens!! :whistle:

Might I recommend William Sonoma for your dishtowels, those babys are nearly as big as a bath towel! :lol: They are a bit pricey but I have had one set for nearly 3 years, they bleach and wash extremely well.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Filed: Timeline

So funny that you mention that cos he's bringing our t-shirt fabric duvet covers here. I can't find them anywhere in the US...you usually have to just buy the whole tshirt fabric comforter!

We're using them as a liner for everything in the suitcase

One food item that I haven't yet seen in the US (maybe I just haven't looked hard enough) and will miss lots is big slabs of tasty non-processed cheddar cheese!

Though quite how you'd transport that I have no idea...

1186153754421.jpg

...yeah, I wish!

Timeline:

December 06 - Filed I129F petition with California Service Center

March 07 - Received petition approval notice

April 07 - Applied for Police Certificate through West Midlands police

24 April 07 - Received Packet 3 from London Embassy

1 May 07 - Received receipt for Police Certificate

5 May 07 - Mailed DS-230 Part I, DS-156, DS-156K and DS-157 back to the Embassy

9 May 07 - London Embassy receives forms

9 May 07 - Medical at Bentinck Mansions

1 June 07 - Mailed document checklist

8 June 07 - Received Police Certificate (39 days from receipt)

15 June 07 - Touched by the Embassy

21 June 07 - Interview date confirmed as 10 August 07

22 June 07 - Received Packet 4

10 August 07 - Interview at London Embassy - APPROVED!

...wedding date is 3 September 07!

Corrected for you:

All your favourite goodies, Cadbury's and Squosh, Tetley PG Tips Tea as the Tetley Tea in the USA everywhere does not taste the same tastes like #######.
One food item that I haven't yet seen in the US (maybe I just haven't looked hard enough) and will miss lots is big slabs of tasty non-processed cheddar cheese!

You can get good cheddar in the USA no problem if you look in the right places. Trader Joes is a good place if you've got one, other places look for "Cabot" Vermont Cheddar with the black wrapper. As long as you avoid buying supermarket own brand or "Land o Lakes" #######.

Edited by Dr_LHA

I would recommend only bringing foodstuffs that you think you'll miss. You can find a lot of UK goods in the USA if you look hard enough, but some things you will have to order off the internet.

I would not bother with anything else as we have underwear, toothpaste, shoes, etc. in the United States, they're usually cheaper, and you don't have to pay to ship them several thousand miles. Very little is cheaper in the UK than the US.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

If you move to somewhere near an IKEA, this is not an issue! :)

For me IKEA is about 200 miles away, but I still go there every 12 months or so and buy 3-4 duvet covers!

If you move to somewhere near an IKEA, this is not an issue! :)

For me IKEA is about 200 miles away, but I still go there every 12 months or so and buy 3-4 duvet covers!

The DFW area has an Ikea in Frisco, but Ikea is such cheap #######! :unsure: I ought to know...most of our furniture is from there. We're on our second Klippan sofa...that thing is a piece of sh!t.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I've found duvets and duvet covers very cheaply (new) on ebay stores if you don't mind that option. I have a queen size duvet but I hate all the covers I had for it (they were really overly girlie, because I got them when I was a little younger...not that I'm old yet *cry* :P) and keep forgetting to buy any new covers for it lol

My darling, wonderful, super sweet husband just went shopping for me today, and grabbed the following goodies that I can't get here:

Knorrs Peppercorn Chicken Sauce

Wheat Crunchies

10 Mint Aeros and some Mint Aero Bubbles

2 250g bars of Cadbury's Caramel (for my mommy)

I did ask him to get me a pair of "Indian-esque" slippers, because the ones I got when I was over were sooo darn comfortable, I haven't found anything like them over here in the states, but I do live in Bumblefuct, Pennsylvania.

I-130 Filed - Sept. 15, 2006

129-F Filed - Oct. 27, 2006

I-130/129F Approved - Jan. 10, 2007

K3/K4 Visas Approved - May 4, 2007

~~~~Hubby and Son PoE Newark - May 27, 2007~~~~

EAD filed for Hubby - June 6, 2007

EAD NOA for Hubby - June 13, 2007

AoS filed for Hubby and Son - June 15, 2007

EAD for Hubby APPROVED! WOW!!!!!! - July 19, 2007

AoS Interview for Hubby and Son in Philadelphia - Friday, September 14, 2007 - APPROVED!

10 Year Green Cards Received!!!! - October 12, 2007

Done until naturalization!

m_7dc3c15c2e1d0eafb3d8770777862202.gif

You can get good cheddar in the USA no problem if you look in the right places. Trader Joes is a good place if you've got one, other places look for "Cabot" Vermont Cheddar with the black wrapper. As long as you avoid buying supermarket own brand or "Land o Lakes" #######.

:thumbs: Vermont cheese is darn close to UK cheddar.

Trader Joes is a good place if you've got one, other places look for "Cabot" Vermont Cheddar with the black wrapper.

Thanks for the tip.

Anyhow, I think its more about what US stuff isn't available in the UK...

...Reeses Bites, anyone? :D

405.jpg

Okay, to be fair I just found this image on a UK food site but whatever, its not like you see 'em everywhere.

1186153754421.jpg

...yeah, I wish!

Timeline:

December 06 - Filed I129F petition with California Service Center

March 07 - Received petition approval notice

April 07 - Applied for Police Certificate through West Midlands police

24 April 07 - Received Packet 3 from London Embassy

1 May 07 - Received receipt for Police Certificate

5 May 07 - Mailed DS-230 Part I, DS-156, DS-156K and DS-157 back to the Embassy

9 May 07 - London Embassy receives forms

9 May 07 - Medical at Bentinck Mansions

1 June 07 - Mailed document checklist

8 June 07 - Received Police Certificate (39 days from receipt)

15 June 07 - Touched by the Embassy

21 June 07 - Interview date confirmed as 10 August 07

22 June 07 - Received Packet 4

10 August 07 - Interview at London Embassy - APPROVED!

...wedding date is 3 September 07!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.